Power Supply Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomCL

Baseband Member
Would it be safe to run this system on a 400W PSU for a few days?

3800+ X2, 1GB PC5300, 7900GS, 160GB HD

I ordered a fairly high quality 500W PSU but it was shipped from a different place (everything else came from the same location), and it won't be here until Monday, but the rest of the system is here now.

I'm pretty sure my friend used it (the 400W) for his 7800 GT, 3800+, 1GB PC3200, 120GB HD system, so I assume it should be fine, but thought I should ask.

It should be okay. I used a 350 watt (generic) PSU for a week while my first 520w PSU was being RMA-ed. If you have anything overclocked you may want to bring it back to normal speeds. I think the most important thing is that the 12V rail(s) has enough amps (24amp min?).

Yes I have a 450w PSU and I did quite a few volt mods. There have been tests that an 8800GTX and a C2D E6600 could run fine on a 400w FPS. These days most people go way overkill on their PSU becuase there are PSU's so high.

this should make you feel better, unless you have a cheapo psu. If you have a good name brand psu like froton, antec, or hiper, then you should be ok.

Just remember the psu can fry some, if not all your system, if you get a bad one (ie one that comes with a case, since those are usually the faulty ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom