Daemon Poster
Hi there,
Need to know something, I'm buying myself a new computer, here are the specs:
Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4
AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ (3.0 GHz)
Mushkin EM2-6400 DDR2-800 2GB
ASUS GeForce 8600GTS Silentcool 675MHZ 256MB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB

I currently have a Thermaltake 420w, really great quality, the heaviest power supply I saw anyway :p I wonder if that will work, the power supply calculators says yes, but want to have a human advice. I know it might be not enough, but I mean is it powerful enough for the moment, until I get another pay for that power supply. I mean 900$ when you don't have a big job, it's a lot, eheh.

BTW: Comments on my items or suggestions is OK :)

Thanks,
Jason

Thanks for your replies. And as "b1gapl" said, "Some people just like AMD.", never been with Intel, never will.

I'm still on a budget, thats why I asked if the power supply would suit (never got the answer BTW ;)), and I'm not really a big gamer. I play games some times and I like that it doesn't lag. I'm a programmer, don't need a big machine I know, I just like things to go fast, and my old AMD Opteron 144 is not impressing me :p.

Also, my PC is in my room (as I'm still 16), and I like it to be QUIET, that's why I choose that video card and that motherboard, those small fans on the motherboards make A LOT of noise, well for me. My ASUS A8N-E is doing a lot of noise, too much for me.

So my question, would the PSU be OK?

Oh BTW, I'm also not going with Core 2 from Intel because they are really pricey. The AMD X2 6000+ is only 250$ CAN, and god knows that in Canada it's not cheap like Newegg, too bad they don't ship here.

Sorry for long posts, just got nothing to do at work ;)

Thanks,
Jason

Yeah exact same but revision 1 or something like that, an older one from the same model, it's 420w (pretty sure it is) and it's gray, not black. Already seen that one tough, my friend has it, and it's the same as me, only difference is that it's black.

So, by exactly enough, does that mean that I can run it without damaging any components?

And is there a big difference between X2 and Core 2? Or is that still a debate between Intel and AMD? :p

EDIT: Found out the power supply! Anitec.ca - Thermaltake PurePower 420W Power Supply
Here you go :)

Thanks,
Jason

I think it would be enough, if you don't overclock. It's still kinda low though...but I think you should be ok.

There is a difference between Core 2 and X2, especially when overclocking is involved, Core 2 will just take off...but the X2s are comparable at stock speeds. Like the X2 6000+, is comparable to the e6600.

I think it would be enough, if you don't overclock.

There is a difference between Core 2 and X2, especially when overclocking is involved, Core 2 will just take off...but the X2s are comparable at stock speeds.

also some amd's still use the 90nm process, while the brisbane X2's use the much cooler (tempy wise) 65nm, but all core 2 duos use the 65nm process, in fact Intel are in the transition stage to the 45nm, but thats off topic...... i think u should get a brisbane and overclock it.... it will oc' better and still have good temperatures

I'm not much of an overclocker ;) Just when I got nothing to do I play around with it. And for that system, you think it will overheat? As the Video card and Motherboard are passive. The CPU, will it throw out a lot of heat because it's a 90nm, do you have an average temperature or something that my system will run to?

Hey thanks for the help guys! :)

I'm not much of an overclocker ;) Just when I got nothing to do I play around with it. And for that system, you think it will overheat? As the Video card and Motherboard are passive. The CPU, will it throw out a lot of heat because it's a 90nm, do you have an average temperature or something that my system will run to?

Hey thanks for the help guys! :)

it won't overheat... but compared to a brisbane the temperatures will be 10 degree or so higher.... nothing big.... but the brisbanes are highly recommended for oc'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom