Power supply for new build?

Magicadam123

Solid State Member
Hi, I haven't posted here for quite some time but I was hoping to get some feedback on a new build I am making for a friend.

Here's what I'm looking at.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz
MOBO: ASUS M5A97
GPU: Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
MEMORY: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB DDRM 1866

How does the build itself seem?
I'm wondering what the proper PSU should be used. My friend is hoping to use a 450w PSU, but I'm not sure if it will suffice.

He's looking at about a $500-$550 budget.

I would love any feedback!

Thank you for your help!

I just have one more question.

My friend has a Gateway DX series DX4300-01 computer now. He wants to strip the tower and use the case to build this new computer with. Is this possible with the new motherboard (ASRock 970) for this build?

Or are we going to have to get a new case? If so, do you have any good affordable suggestions?

To give you a precise answer, that case will work with aftermarket parts BUT you need an mATX board rather than a standard ATX board.

Now my personal opinion is, I would not reuse that case as it's tiny and has little airflow that's needed for the newer parts you are putting in there. You also have no room for cable management.
Good place to start is something real cheap like a Thermaltake V3, or a Corsair 200r. Both of those cases can take a standard ATX board like we've mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom