Power Supply help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2k556

In Runtime
Hi, I'm currently shopping for the parts I need for my computer, which will be my first computer. So, I've basically found everything I want, but I don't know what power supply to get. I tried a power supply calculator, but I don't know how well i could trust it over a persons suggestion, so here it is:

Case: XClio Windtunnel
Mobo:ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
GPU: EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
RAM: Corsairs 2x1GB 240 pin DDR2
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
DVD: Sony NEC Optiarc Black IDE DVD-ROM
Misc: Koutech IO-RCM620 USB 2.0 Card Reader
Misc: APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan

I'm not positive, but I may get a floppy drive in the future, and I do plan on getting a Blueray disc drive so I can watch hi-def movies. I'm pretty sure that's it, so any help would be great, even suggesting something to change in the set up is welcome, it is my first computer so I'm pretty new to the whole thing ;). Thanks in advance, Gavin.

Agreed with peterhuang. Save yourself the money, and get the 8800GTS 320. Reviews have proven that the 640, has no significant performance added, with the extra 320mb, when playing both at the same resolutions.

With the money saved from this, get the Corsair 520HX, that peterhuang also suggested. Another cheaper alternative that is just as good, is the XClio GREATPOWER 550w.

Why that motherboard in particular? Is it because of SLI and added features? You can get a cheaper motherboard, that will perform just as good, as well as overclock better, with the Gigabyte P35-DS3R. This is ready for the future Wolfdale and Yorkfield processors too.

About the memory. Which Corsair RAM are you going for, specifically? Many here will tell you to get the G. Skill HZ DDR2-800. I would though, recommend the Crucial Ballistix, over the G. Skills, because of it's awesome deal, at buy.com...

Nice case choice, by the way.

once again Vernon comes slow to the thread and his critiques are taken ( i agree with b1gapl and Peter 100%)

Stalin missed out on the victory of WWII. But the USA and the other allies go to win it, although Russia had to back out not too long before it was over.

...Why that motherboard in particular? Is it because of SLI and added features? You can get a cheaper motherboard, that will perform just as good, as well as overclock better, with the Gigabyte P35-DS3R. This is ready for the future Wolfdale and Yorkfield processors too.

well, i chose that mobo because it had the two pci x16 slots that ran a full x16, but i guess i wouldn't really matter. I was planning on using the sli in the future, but one of those 8800gts's should work fine. I plan on gaming a lot, so that's why i was plannin' on that, and i photoshop quite a bit too. thanks for the suggestions anymore are welcome ;)

and can someone explain the different names for the cores like wolfdale and conroe, etc. it's kinda confusing for me.

If you don't plan on SLI, get that P35-DS3R, I suggested. It will have same gaming performance as that 650i, if not, better. Overclocks better, and ready for the future.

so would it make a big difference with sli in my gaming with the 8800gts or does it matter. cause i'm used to this 5600 fx pos that my family computer has, so i want something really good for my games. so sli seemed like a good idea, i could just get the one now, and later if i want it i could save up my money and by another. but if that mobo only has 1 x16 slot :/ but i haven't really experienced the better graphics cards so i could be wrong and just one 8800gts will do great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom