Power Supply and Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinfun2

Baseband Member
Hey guys. My question is that my computer is terribly slow with these specifications powered by a cheap ASUS 250W Power Supply. (Ask me if you need more specific info.)

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
1gb PC3200
EVGA 7300GS 256mb

The reason why i suspect that sumthing is wrong here is because a buddy of mine has a fairly similar computer with..

Athlon XP 2.4Ghz
1gb PC3200
Visiontek X1300 512mb

His computer is somehow able to play games like Crysis(The demo at least), Oblivion, and Battlefield 2/2142 with flying colors at high/medium settings as i am only able to get by these games on lowest settings barely getting 30 fps.

So my question is, can the system be possibly slowing down by the power supply not giving enough juice to unleash the hardwares full potential? Im reading the power supply post on the hardware sticky so please mention that in case i miss anything.

Thanks in advance.

i wouldnt say your system is slow.. more like.. how the h3ll is your buddy one capable of that high.. thats insane! xD

what power supply has your mate got?

250w aint much thou..im not sure if you would need more with them specs. you aint gonna unleash crysis with a 7300GS im sorry to say. Another gb of ram would help abit..

im still in awe that your mate can run them games:freak: hehe

Hey guys. My question is that my computer is terribly slow with these specifications powered by a cheap ASUS 250W Power Supply. (Ask me if you need more specific info.)

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
1gb PC3200
EVGA 7300GS 256mb

The reason why i suspect that sumthing is wrong here is because a buddy of mine has a fairly similar computer with..

Athlon XP 2.4Ghz
1gb PC3200
Visiontek X1300 512mb

His computer is somehow able to play games like Crysis(The demo at least), Oblivion, and Battlefield 2/2142 with flying colors at high/medium settings as i am only able to get by these games on lowest settings barely getting 30 fps.

So my question is, can the system be possibly slowing down by the power supply not giving enough juice to unleash the hardwares full potential? Im reading the power supply post on the hardware sticky so please mention that in case i miss anything.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldnt doubt that it might be your psu. I know i got about another 10 fps from swapping out a psu from a friends store bought desktop. Just save up some money and buy a new psu thats about 400W.

Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply 115/230 V - Retail

[/QUOTE]So my question is, can the system be possibly slowing down by the power supply not giving enough juice to unleash the hardwares full potential? Im reading the power supply post on the hardware sticky so please mention that in case i miss anything.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

If that is the case remove the unwanted components from your mother board.In digital circuits or integrated circuits every other components absorbs the current flowing through the entire circuit even if it is not needed.This increases the load which might lead to reverse bias and hence unwanted flow of electricity too.
Remove the small components from your motherboard and see the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom