Power Supply Decision - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 06:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
gone

Send a message via AIM to Gabb
Default Power Supply Decision

So just doing more research on my future system, and after reading all the previous posts about power supplies I was wondering about the Apevia 600W DARK SIDE POWER ATX Power Supply or 680W version.

My future system will be around a core 2 duo 6600, geforce 8 gtx, 2 gigs of ram, WD raptor 10k rpm hard drive, etc.

However I noticed the Apevia 680W BEAST POWER ATX Power Supply is only like 10 dollars more then the 600W version. I know you guys have said in the past that my computer won't even get near 600 watts, but what about leaving expandability options? I mean 10 bucks isn't that much more...will I ever even reach 600 watts with 2 geforce 8s in Sli + another western Raptor raided in the future? Also is there Iceberg Power Supply versions worth a look? They don't seem to be that much more expensive either.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Don't get a brand like apevia, just because they're all shiny. The shiny ones are usually the no good power supplies, that will take your computer down with it. You don't want that to happen right? So the brands to look for are, FSP Group (Fortron), OCZ, Enermax, Antec, and HIPER.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 01-21-2007, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

ive had an OCZ Modstream 520W for about 2months now and its fine.
It is really quiet, got a big 120m fan blowing down onto my componants, got nice blue led's so it shines the whole inside up nicely, also its modular so no messy cables everywhere and you only need use the cables that YOU need, so less cables aswell............... top psu i love it
Old 01-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jumping_Bean514

Quote:
Originally posted by b1gapl
Don't get a brand like apevia, just because they're all shiny. The shiny ones are usually the no good power supplies, that will take your computer down with it. You don't want that to happen right? So the brands to look for are, FSP Group (Fortron), OCZ, Enermax, Antec, and HIPER.
I think Thermaltake, PC power and cooling, and Silverstone are also very good brands to look into. I plan on getting a Thermaltake Tough Power on my next build.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

Whatever amount your thinking of spending. Spend it on one of these brands.

Antec
Enermax
Zippy
Etasis
Silerstone
Seasonic
eTagan
Hiper
Mushkin
Corsair
OCZ
Fortron (FSP group)
PC Power And Cooling

Ehh I think thats all of them.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jumping_Bean514
I think Thermaltake, PC power and cooling, and Silverstone are also very good brands to look into. I plan on getting a Thermaltake Tough Power on my next build.
According to HardForum the ToughPower TT series are the only good ones they make,
Old 01-21-2007, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jumping_Bean514

I was planning on getting the W0106RU, its 56a, modular, 3 year warranty, and SLI quad certified. Don't know how you can go wrong.

Closed Thread