Power Supply Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevica

Solid State Member
Hello,

This is my set up:

500 GB SATA-II 16MB (FREE UPGRADE TO 750GB BEFORE 11:59 PM ON 23-01-11)
Asus P8P67 Pro (Intel P67)
Intel Core i5 2500 (4 x 3.3GHz) 6MB
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)
1 Port Firewire IEEE 1394 (Built In)
Corsair 8GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (2x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
Antec Midi Three Hundred Black
Samsung (SH-S223L) 24x DVD Re-Writer/Reader +/- RW - Black - Lightscribe (SATA)
Corsair Hydro Series H50 V2 (Advanced Liquid Cooling) - BEST SELLER
Gainward GeForce GTX 570 Phantom 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Main consumers of power will be graphics card and Sandy Bridge.

Could you please advise on power supply requirements for this config.

I am currently looking at purchasing:

700W Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold, Modular, 80 PLUS Gold, EPS12V, 135mm Fan

Will this be sufficient?

Thanks,

Nevica

Don't buy the Corsair H50, if you want an all in one water cooling kit get the Corsair H70.

Get the i7 2500K instead of the regular i7 2500. In fact, there's no reason to buy the Corsair H70 or H50 if your going to buy the regular i7 2500. The stock heatsink will keep the regular i7 2500 cool and it will do so quietly.

Cooler Master makes a decent power supply, I wouldn't consider them Top-Tier, more middle of the road. But 700 watts should be plenty of power.

You should consider a Full Tower case instead of a mid-size

It doesn't cool as well as most air-cooler and it's cost more than the products that outperform it.

Hello,

The Corsair H50 is OK. It can cool my Sandy Bridge to a very cool 32 deg C. At full power the chips are running very cool. As Sandy Bridge runs cool then there is no need for an overpowered cooling system.

Nevica

Any decent brand of ~450w or higher should be sufficient. All you have to check is the graphics card's and cpu's power consumption and check how much the 12v rails can provide. A single 12v rail must have plenty of spare power after subtracting the graphics card's wattage.
Also check if it comes with all the connectors you will need for the motherboard and graphics card. Lower wattage psu's may come with fewer connectors.

To give you an idea, my PC has a 450w psu, components are an overclocked e6300, 8800GT, sound card, pci-e sata controller, 7 hard disks. total power consumption (idle) about 195 watts.

Hello,

The Corsair H50 is OK. It can cool my Sandy Bridge to a very cool 32 deg C. At full power the chips are running very cool. As Sandy Bridge runs cool then there is no need for an overpowered cooling system.

Nevica

It isn't the cooling, its the cost vs cooling is easily matched by an air cooler.

Hello,

Nevica

My air-cooled i7 2600K idles in the 25C range at 5GHz so it sounds like your H50 is actually running hotter than it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom