power supply ?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i was just looking at power supplies. and came across something i must have never noticed before. i was looking between the Rosewill 750 watt hive, and capstone supply. the capstone's rating is @ 50 degrees celcious, and the hive is @ 40 degrees celcius. which seems contradictory to what i would think. knowing that heat is the arch enemy of electronics, wouldnt i want one that is rated at a lower temperature? the hive is about $10.00 cheaper and rated cooler. or is that rating the maximum temperature the power supply will reach before shutting down? in which case, why wouldnt i want one that shut down at a cooler temp?

The capstone is rated at a higher temp which is better.
Power supplies degrade as the temp goes up, that means the capstone will operate better @ a higher temp

i was just looking at power supplies. and came across something i must have never noticed before. i was looking between the Rosewill 750 watt hive, and capstone supply. the capstone's rating is @ 50 degrees celcious, and the hive is @ 40 degrees celcius. which seems contradictory to what i would think. knowing that heat is the arch enemy of electronics, wouldnt i want one that is rated at a lower temperature? the hive is about $10.00 cheaper and rated cooler. or is that rating the maximum temperature the power supply will reach before shutting down? in which case, why wouldnt i want one that shut down at a cooler temp?

The capstone is rated at a higher temp which is better.
Power supplies degrade as the temp goes up, that means the capstone will operate better @ a higher temp
This.

I recommend not getting a Rosewill PSU.

Actually, Johnny Guru gives that Capstone a good rating
Performance 9.5
Functionality 8.5
Value 9.5
Build Quality 8.5
Total Score 9.1
Summary

With the Capstone 750W unit, Rosewill has become a brand name to take notice of. Gone are the days when the words "house brand" meant something like Deer or Powmax. This unit is efficient, powerful, and extremely well performing. It is as good as almost anything else out there I could name. I do wish it were at least semi-modular, and was a bit cheaper, but that's just about all it has going against it.

The Good:

very good regulation
extremely efficient
solid build quality

The Bad:

a little on the expensive side

The Mediocre:

nothing
Rosewill PSU's never rated well in my book either but this one might be an exception
Rosewill Capstone 750W Review
Rosewill doesn't make power supplies, they re-brand somebody else's and it looks like they chose a much better brand for the Capstone

Last edited:
what is this modular thing? i have taken the cover off from a power supply (2 years ago from my lightning struck now 8 year old computer, and the only thing i saw "serviceable" would have been the fan could have been replaced. and how does it effect the performance/reliability of a power supply. i must think on way to simple of a level. to me a power supply provides the proper voltage, amps to each component. its job is to provide power. heat is an unfortunate byproduct. other than that it works or it doesn't.

Actually, Johnny Guru gives that Capstone a good rating

Rosewill PSU's never rated well in my book either but this one might be an exception
Rosewill Capstone 750W Review
Rosewill doesn't make power supplies, they re-brand somebody else's and it looks like they chose a much better brand for the Capstone
I'll make the same analogy as before. Buttermilk Great Value ranch has improved over the last few years and tastes decent, but that doesn't mean it's Hidden Valley. Rosewill has been using better OEMs for some of their more expensive PSUs, but it doesn't change the fact that they are Newegg's Great Value brand. Not to mention, for the same money usually a better more reputable brand can be had. The eVGA 500b got exceptional reviews as well and the 600b is rather cheap but I still don't really recommend it to people.

what is this modular thing? i have taken the cover off from a power supply (2 years ago from my lightning struck now 8 year old computer, and the only thing i saw "serviceable" would have been the fan could have been replaced. and how does it effect the performance/reliability of a power supply. i must think on way to simple of a level. to me a power supply provides the proper voltage, amps to each component. its job is to provide power. heat is an unfortunate byproduct. other than that it works or it doesn't.
Modular simply means removable peripheral cables on the PSU. It makes it more convenient for cable management.

On a simple level you are correct, but as with all electronic things you have bad quality and good quality. IN this case, a PSU provides power to ALL components of your PC and a bad PSU can result in a failed unit quickly, under or overvolting parts due to bad output which can cause hardware failure, or simply deciding to send out a bad spark when it dies and can kill all the hardware connected to it. Cheaper power supplies are made typically with cheap quality parts which can in turn go bad or simply not work properly. That is why I state in my thread this.

PSU is first on that list because this unit is the most important part of your computer whether you are gaming, 3D Modeling, Rendering, or making a server. I brushed on this before but I want to put it here too. If you use a cheap PSU it could undervolt your system from day one, die randomly, or send a spike through your PC blowing up parts if the voltage input drops or goes higher. A cheap unit does not regulate the voltage as good as a quality unit, nor can they handle the actual rated wattage. A cheap unit is rated at their peak wattage, a quality unit is rated at what they can handle for long periods of time and usually have an overhead of 100-200w give or take. This unit sends electricity to every single piece in your computer that you put money into. When you get a power brown or surge it can mean the death or life of your parts as well.

And why it's the #1 part you need to put money into when building a PC. A quality PSU can last years and through several builds without a sign of failure.

thanks to everyone who helped me with this decision. i bought an EVGA Supernova 750 watt B1 psu. the price difference between those that i was not sure about, and this was to small to take a chance. besides, i love the name Supernova.

Back
Top Bottom