Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
TriEclipse said:
Need a bit more? Dude, it would be consuming 273W on a 400W PSU. And that consumption is at max load, it doesn't go over that during normal operation. Yeah, if you used a 273W PSU, then it would need more. But if you read my entire post, I specifically told you not to get a 273W PSU. Instead, I linked a 400W PSU.

And a 400W PSU leaves 50% overhead, that's the extra room I've left for them incase they ever go over that (as happens during bootup).

The point is, getting a 700W PSU is just really effing retarded, no one needs that much "insurance" on their build for anything in the next couple of years.

dude a 700 watt is better than a 400 regardless of the computers power consumption its like saying a smart cars better than a mercades it just doesnt compare sure smart cars are more effective but would YOu want to be seen driving it over a mercades?more power is always better if youre willing to spend the money for it and some people are.

keyser09 said:
Dude a 700 watt is better than a 400 regardless of the computers power consumption.

Rofl, what an idiot...The 700W won't act any differently than a 400W if the computer's consuming 273W. Its not like you're feeding the computer 700W of power with a 700W PSU; You're feeding it 273W with a 700W PSU, the same 273W that the 400W Forton can.

And the day we need a 700W PSU is the same day that we'll be paying $150/month as the electric bill for our PCs.

Dude, I cannot believe how stupid you're acting.

UNDERFED?! UNDERFED?! Its a 400W PSU for a 273W system! The system has a 8800GTX in it! Its running at 68% on a really really big load! During normal operation, the PSU wouldn't even be CLOSE to 50% output!

Holy-Effing-Crap man, did you forget your brain at the cleaner's?

I was hoping this thread would make people see that they don't need to waste money on PSUs anymore, but it seems to only have made the owners defensive. For god's sakes, I know you didn't know this when you bought it, neither did 99% of the people on this forum, but now that you do, try to have some sense.

[snipped]

wait one minute then how are all these 700 watts being sold then?youre saying like everyone is buying useless psu's?why would so many experts be "fooled" into thinking they need 700 watt psus?i dont see any major articles (official articles) on this topic this news your bringing to us-is huge why wouldnt the freakin like world stop buying 600 and above psu's then?

Nitestick: then you're not looking hard enough. perhaps there are few articles because people react like this every time someone begs to differ. the Pentium 4 grossly outsold the often superior Athlon XP and the clearly better Athlon 64. people didn't stop buying. simple reason, we're primal creatures and size matters. people always choose bigger numbers. however they don't always choose to argue on flawed assumptions

Hey, thanks Tri. Already trawling through that forum. I have been nosing around quite a few Computer forums trying to find some good info on PSUs, and that is the best one so far, cheers.

I am glad you said Hiper were a good make, that is the PSU I have been looking at, but not comfortable about the cost, but I suppose if I cheap out on a PSU, I will regret it.

Thanks again, Best post ever!

OK, good post and thanks for the info.

You don't have to be an [snipped] to everyone who disagrees with you or degrade them. Let's keep this "conversation" at a mature level, shall we?

i was gonna say it would be nice to get feedback to people that acctaully have questions or problems instead of spending time stroking e-peens. no one has still answered me if it would be wise to upgrade now or wait till january when all the new stuff is coming out...

i dunno how much this excitement of the new releases is hype unfortunately.

theres been alot of good feedback in this thead about power supplies though. which is allways appreciative.

keyser09 said:
wait one minute then how are all these 700 watts being sold then?youre saying like everyone is buying useless psu's?why would so many experts be "fooled" into thinking they need 700 watt psus?i dont see any major articles (official articles) on this topic this news your bringing to us-is huge why wouldnt the freakin like world stop buying 600 and above psu's then?

Because the PSU is one of the most overlooked components in a build. When people are building a gaming computer, they don't consider the PSU as a "performance factor" in the build. They figure that they can toss money at a PSU and it'll provide the power and they'll be set. How do I know? Because I used to do that, and so did the other dozens of people that I've designed computers for over the years.

Who do you consider an "expert"? Does that term mean the majority of people on XtremeSystems Forums? Because there are people there that don't understand this either. Is an "expert" a Hardware Reviewer? Not really, their job is to see how something performs, they don't necessarily have to understand how a PSU works. Another thing to note is that Hardware Reviews aim to please. You really think a [H]ardOCP review is going to say something that will make major PSU companies lose business?

I'm not asking you to trust me, oh h3ll no. I'm asking you to believe the numbers; Numbers that DailyTech is putting out. DailyTech isn't the only source, there is the [H]ardOCP review of the 8800GTX that shows the same power consumption. I would assume that other major 8800GTX reviews would show the same thing.

If you really need solid proof, here; But a Kill-A-Watt Power Meter. Its $40, and by the looks of things, you're loaded, so it shouldn't be a problem for you. Plug that into the wall and plug the PSU cord into it, and it'll tell you how much power your system is consuming. I guarantee you that it will be less than 250W at load.

viperman5000 said:
You don't have to be an [snipped] to everyone who disagrees with you or degrade them. Let's keep this "conversation" at a mature level, shall we?

Have I said anything offensive to anyone in this thread except Keyser? He and I aren't confined to this thread. Calling me names isn't going to help matters any, so I suggest you check yourself as well.

arbol99 said:
i was gonna say it would be nice to get feedback to people that acctaully have questions or problems instead of spending time stroking e-peens. no one has still answered me if it would be wise to upgrade now or wait till january when all the new stuff is coming out...

i dunno how much this excitement of the new releases is hype unfortunately.

theres been alot of good feedback in this thead about power supplies though. which is allways appreciative.

How are we supposed to answer something that you haven't asked? I don't see a post by you anywhere else in this thread asking that question. Don't talk about stroking e-peens while acting like that yourself.

And I've answered every single question posted in this thread, even those by Keyser. You have a question? Ask. I'll answer. But keep your questions about upgrading in your own thread. As you said, this is a thread about Power Supplies.

Can a mod please clean up this thread a little? Just don't remove the info about PSUs please.

^wow...overboard anywayz that 40 dollar kill a watt thing it availiable in canada?is that for america only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom