Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEnd187

Banned
Nitestick's edit: this is not the first post of the original thread. i had to do a massive clean up and remove/edit a lot of posts. the original post is now stickied in Building Buying and Upgrading for General PCs if you wish to read it

so does anyone really need 1KW PSU's?

but wont they need a bit more than they use incase they go over?wont that make cumpouter crash or something?

keyser09 said:
but wont they need a bit more than they use incase they go over?wont that make cumpouter crash or something?

Need a bit more? Dude, it would be consuming 273W on a 400W PSU. And that consumption is at max load, it doesn't go over that during normal operation. Yeah, if you used a 273W PSU, then it would need more. But if you read my entire post, I specifically told you not to get a 273W PSU. Instead, I linked a 400W PSU.

And a 400W PSU leaves 50% overhead, that's the extra room I've left for them incase they ever go over that (as happens during bootup).

The point is, getting a 700W PSU is just really effing retarded, no one needs that much "insurance" on their build for anything in the next couple of years.

Nice post. I really learned something there.

We just built with an OCZ 700 Watt GameXStream.

I guess we could have saved alittle :-(

We were thinking of the four 12 volt rails at the time so we would be sure we could handle about any video card combination possible....lol

I guess we figured alittle too much, lol

Thanks for the great post.

I have an OCZ GameXStream 700W too. There's no reason to have regret though, we buy those because we know they will handle things years from now and they won't go out on us. If there is ANYTHING you shouldn't compromise, it better be your PSU. Because if it goes out, you can bet a couple more things will go out with it.

I REALLY needed this post. I have been using power supply calculators to work out how much my new build would require, and always thought it was off. Looking around everyone seems to say "You need at least 500W PSU to run XYZ", now it seems the calculator is correct. I will probably look into downgrading my PSU in that case, maybe going for a 400W one. I cannot see the point of going SLI/XFIRE, nor quad core. I also never cared for the high-speed hard drives. I am happy with a 7200RPM one.

I have a question though, Is there a chart rating the quality of different companies? I have seen some REALLY cheap PSUs (example, Sansun 450W for 24.99, or Ebuyer Value 550W for £21.99) . I am a big fan of reliablity over performance.

Again, thanks for this post.

AND I bought it because it has a pretty blue LED light hehe. It matches my NZXT Apollo Blue case, and my Sapphire x1950PRO blue vid card :p

That sooo makes it worth it ;)

I dunno. I look at it this way. People also don't NEED Porsches. But they buy them anyway, and that doesn't mean they are stupid. At least they bought a good quality car.

Now you're just making excuses trying to justify something that I've explained is pointless. Just like a Porsche owner tries to justify the purchase to themselves using every excuse possible. Atleast with a Porsche you can feel the difference; a 700W PSU isn't going to act any differently than a 400W one if neither of them is being pushed.

And for the record, Fortons are better quality PSUs that OCZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom