Power Requirements for Q6600?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 word for ya.... Ripple..........

Out of all the OCZ reviews I've read you and some other person (can't remember who) are the only people who talk about this "ripple". I would like to see some proof and negative outcomes of this. I feel like one person said something about these PSU's and now everyone is just parroting him.

Edit: On a side note, SLI zone says the OCZ 700 is rated for SLI 8800gts where as the Corsair 620 is only rated for a 78xxx and 79xxx (excluding gx2) series SLI. and the 520 is listed under "For all other SLI PC configurations" (the very last spot).

Build an SLI PC - Certified SLI-Ready Power Supplies

Out of all the OCZ reviews I've read you and some other person (can't remember who) are the only people who talk about this "ripple". I would like to see some proof and negative outcomes of this. I feel like one person said something about these PSU's and now everyone is just parroting him.

Edit: On a side note, SLI zone says the OCZ 700 is rated for SLI 8800gts where as the Corsair 620 is only rated for a 78xxx and 79xxx (excluding gx2) series SLI. and the 520 is listed under "For all other SLI PC configurations" (the very last spot).

actaully... sora, and b1gapl got me into talking about ripples.... but just hope ur lucky person... but from what i've heard from gaara, OCZ's are rebranded ...... (i forget what to fill the blank with :))

jonnyGURU's Personal Website

read that

Thank you, I'm glad to see posters backing up there statments. Wasn't trying to be an A$$ I just wanted to read/see it for myself. the "ripple" is something to think about but that same review still gave it high marks and stated...

It's obvious that despite this units light weight that this unit isn't a... well... light weight! It's was amazing how it putted along putting out nearly 700W of power and never really got hot. The voltage stood up, we have active PFC and the efficiency was pretty darn good. The only real problem was the excess ripple which exceed the ATX specification. If FSP and OCZ can get together and solve this problem, they'll have a power supply that all other manufacturers will have to use as a benchmark.

The power supply only went outside the specifications by 30w. I wouldn't be worried about it for the price considering how well it scored in everything else. Also, as I stated before, it went through and passed its test for 8800gts certification and thats saying something

Well see thats the problem sometimes with forums. I myself don't recommend it but then I tell him unless they run it very close to the maximum it is an excellent PSU, however other posters just see me mention "ripple" and see i don't like it and kind of just say it's a bad PSU to everyone else. The OCZ is a well built PSU and only if you are running it within around 95% of maximum load it is a great PSU.

EDIT: I would also like to say 30 over ANYTIME is bad just becuase the stress it can put on yourt expensive hardware long term. I would NEVER run that OCZ PSU in 90% load to be safe which with 700w is a bit hard anyway. It is deffinatley not an 8800 SLi series with a quad-core though.

Well see thats the problem sometimes with forums. I myself don't recommend it but then I tell him unless they run it very close to the maximum it is an excellent PSU, however other posters just see me mention "ripple" and see i don't like it and kind of just say it's a bad PSU to everyone else. The OCZ is a well built PSU and only if you are running it within around 95% of maximum load it is a great PSU.

EDIT: I would also like to say 30 over ANYTIME is bad just becuase the stress it can put on yourt expensive hardware long term. I would NEVER run that OCZ PSU in 90% load to be safe which with 700w is a bit hard anyway. It is deffinatley not an 8800 SLi series with a quad-core though.

Even at 90% it can handle more watts then both corsair models for less money (then the 620 model). Though I most definitely understand your concern. I think that if this was a big problem it would have come up in more then once in the 300+ newegg reviews.

Even at 90% it can handle more watts then both corsair models for less money (then the 620 model). Though I most definitely understand your concern. I think that if this was a big problem it would have come up in more then once in the 300+ newegg reviews.

The Corsair HX has more amps on the rails than the OCZ really...and ike I said its a degrade of computer parts and their functionality. It can slowly degrade a video card if there is too high ripple and eventually kill it, but of coarse the last thing you would suspect is the PSU if there were never any restarts.

The Corsair HX has more amps on the rails than the OCZ really...and ike I said its a degrade of computer parts and their functionality. It can slowly degrade a video card if there is too high ripple and eventually kill it, but of coarse the last thing you would suspect is the PSU if there were never any restarts.

Good point, I guess I wouldn't want my mobo to be slowly degrading which people wouldn't really notice. Even if they did they wouldnt suspect the PSU like you stated. That could be a reason for lack of complaints on newegg. You stated that the HX has more watts then the OCZ. could you elaberate on that? As far as I know the OCZ is 18amps on 4 rails while the HX is 18amps on 3 rails. Regardless, they are both fantastic power supplies. I still haven't made up my mind on which is the better value though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom