Potential CPU Upgrade - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: WI, USA
Posts: 1,556
Send a message via MSN to yzmxer608
Default Potential CPU Upgrade

I've been thinking about my system lately (in my signature). Hard drives are fine, gpu is fine (could oc it if I want to, might eventually), RAM is fine (3 gb), motherboard can't oc, and processor isn't bad, but I would like to OC it.

Since my motherboard (well, the BIOS) doesn't have the ability to overclock, the only way I'm going to get more performance there (besides OS tweaks) is by getting a better processor. Now I don't know if I will get one in the near future, if at all. But I was just wondering what would be a good possible upgrade.

Here are my mobo specs: Motherboard Specifications, M2N68-LA (Narra3)*
Here is my power supply: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NjU=

Since the socket is AM2+, I searched the Egg with AM2+ socket type as a parameter. I got: Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,CPUs / Processors,Processors - Desktops,Socket AM2+

The one that caught my eye was Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops.

You might ask why don't I just get a new motherboard then have the ability to oc? I thought most prebuilts have mobo designs built to that specific computer? Or am I wrong?

I just mainly want to know:
1. Could my current motherboard and psu handle the load of a newer, faster processor?
2. Is that Phenom II Black Edition a worthy upgrade?

Thanks in advance .
__________________

__________________
yzmxer608 is offline  
Old 08-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Nubbleet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston/San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 837
Send a message via AIM to Nubbleet Send a message via MSN to Nubbleet
Default Re: Potential CPU Upgrade

1. I would assume so if the CPU is compatible with the Mobo.
2. Yes you would notice a performance increase.
__________________

__________________
4670K @ 4.4GHz 1.18v | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 8GB G. Skill 1866 | 128GB Crucial M4 | 750GB WD Caviar Black | MSI 7850 Twin Frozr | Megahalems | 650TX | CM690
Nubbleet is offline  
Old 08-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
S0ULphIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,672
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Potential CPU Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzmxer608 View Post
You might ask why don't I just get a new motherboard then have the ability to oc?
I would

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzmxer608 View Post
I thought most prebuilts have mobo designs built to that specific computer? Or am I wrong?
you are.

I've never really been a fan of small system upgrades. As your rig gets older and older you'll keep spending more and more trying to keep it patched up and ready to take on the next monster game.

Your PSU is a good one, unfortunate that it's only got 44A max on the 12v rails which will limit the gfx power you can have.
The mobo is def getting a little old though, especially in terms of memory and cpu support. imo it'd be better for you to wait a little longer, say a couple more months, and then buy a new rig. Something that'll last you a few years, in the end you'll be saving. You'll be able to sell your old rig too if you want, that's kinda what I do when I upgrade (sell off parts from my old rig).
__________________
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: WI, USA
Posts: 1,556
Send a message via MSN to yzmxer608
Default Re: Potential CPU Upgrade

That's news about the motherboard fitting in pre-built cases .

Thanks for the help you two, I think I'll go with phIRE's idea and wait a few more months to upgrade. Plus a lot of new stuff is coming out (7, the new/upgraded Intel processors, next generation of gpu's, hopefully price drops in ssd's).
__________________
yzmxer608 is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Nubbleet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston/San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 837
Send a message via AIM to Nubbleet Send a message via MSN to Nubbleet
Default Re: Potential CPU Upgrade

Yea. Waiting is a good idea. I'm waiting for the nvidia 3xx series .
__________________
4670K @ 4.4GHz 1.18v | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 8GB G. Skill 1866 | 128GB Crucial M4 | 750GB WD Caviar Black | MSI 7850 Twin Frozr | Megahalems | 650TX | CM690
Nubbleet is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
philbar71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 4,533
Send a message via AIM to philbar71
Default Re: Potential CPU Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzmxer608 View Post
That's news about the motherboard fitting in pre-built cases .

Thanks for the help you two, I think I'll go with phIRE's idea and wait a few more months to upgrade. Plus a lot of new stuff is coming out (7, the new/upgraded Intel processors, next generation of gpu's, hopefully price drops in ssd's).

yep, it's best to hold off now and wait, cause the new lga 1156 stuff is coming out in the first week of September. and that will probably be in your price range and easily outperform the PII's
__________________


The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
philbar71 is offline  
Old 08-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: WI, USA
Posts: 1,556
Send a message via MSN to yzmxer608
Default Re: Potential CPU Upgrade

Thanks I'll be sure to read all the news about the 1156 stuff when it comes out.

I'm hoping to build a new system (would be my first fully custom system, 3rd computer overall) in the winter sometime (well, if the parents let me ).
__________________
yzmxer608 is offline  
Old 09-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: WI, USA
Posts: 1,556
Send a message via MSN to yzmxer608
Default Re: Potential CPU Upgrade

Well I started thinking again.... I'm most likely going to get a new heatsink for my 9800GT, so I was just checking to see if I wanted to get anything else at the same time. My mobo and cpu came up in my mind again. I don't necessarily want to build a complete new system just yet, I think a couple upgrades would be fine for me for now. Now that I know I might be able to get another motherboard that fits in my case (micro atx so they don't seem too expensive) I'm playing with the idea of maybe getting a new motherboard and cpu heatsink, then seeing what I can get out of my processor.

I guess what I'm asking (again sorta hehe) is would it be worth doing a few small upgrades like this for now? Maybe in another 3/4 of a year or so I would be ready to build a complete new system. I don't really need one right now, plus prices will drop even more by then. Maybe I'm just confusing myself...
__________________
yzmxer608 is offline  
Old 09-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
S0ULphIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,672
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Potential CPU Upgrade

Depends on how much the parts are going to cost you.
If you can get them on the cheap then yeah, a small upgrade while you wait is not such a bad idea.
__________________
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline  
Old 09-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: WI, USA
Posts: 1,556
Send a message via MSN to yzmxer608
Default Re: Potential CPU Upgrade

I think I could get a new motherboard fairly cheap, only needs really are 4 memory slots, a pci-x16 slot, and am2+ socket, something like this: Newegg.com - ASUS M3N78-VM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards Then a am2+ cpu heatsink which isn't too expensive.

Think I might end up going this route, maybe .
__________________

__________________
yzmxer608 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Having major OS Dilemma & free upgrade win7 coupon rocknje Microsoft Windows and Software 1 07-18-2009 02:27 PM
Asus P5B board. CPU upgrade fadedstar System Upgrades 3 11-23-2008 11:53 PM
CPU upgrade (compatibility question) Timaphillips New Systems | Building and Buying 9 08-09-2008 06:09 AM
upgrade on GPU, CPU, PSU kur0suto New Systems | Building and Buying 31 09-06-2007 03:57 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.