possibly building this computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirillian

Solid State Member
This will be the first time that I build a computer, I'm coming to you guys to help ensure that I don't make any mistakes with puting this beast together. Any advice would help very much!

Thanks in advance!!!

Case - Thermaltake Black Armor Full-Tower ATX Case with 11 External Drive Bays, Clear Side, Front USB, Firewire and Audio Ports

Thermaltake Black Armor Full-Tower ATX Case with 11 External Drive Bays, Clear Side, Front USB, Firewire and Audio Ports VA8000BWS at TigerDirect.com

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Processor ADV6000DOBOX - 3.1GHz, 1MB Cache, 1000MHz (2000 MT/s), Dual-Core, Retail, Socket AM2, Processor with Fan

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4140383&Sku=CP1-AM2-6000 C

Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 280 Video Card - 1GB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, FREE Special Edition EVGA Precision Overclocking Utility, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Dual VGA Support

EVGA GeForce GTX 280 Video Card - 1GB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, FREE Special Edition EVGA Precision Overclocking Utility, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Dual VGA Support 01G-P3-1280-AR at TigerDirect.com

RAM(8gb) - OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB)

OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB) OCZ2N800SR4GK at TigerDirect.com

Motherboard - XFX nForce 750a SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA 750a SLI, Socket AM2/AM2+, ATX, Audio, Video, HDMI, DVI, PCI Express 2.0, Gigabit LAN. S/PDIF, USB 2.0, eSATA, RAID

XFX nForce 750a SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA 750a SLI, Socket AM2AM2+, ATX, Audio, Video, HDMI, DVI, PCI Express 2.0, Gigabit LAN. SPDIF, USB 2.0, eSATA, RAID MDA72P7509 at TigerDirect.com

Memory(3TB) - Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Hard Drive ST31500341AS - 7200RPM, 32MB Cache, SATA-3G

Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Hard Drive ST31500341AS - 7200RPM, 32MB Cache, SATA-3G at TigerDirect.com

Network Card - Killer NIC K1â„¢- Gaming Network Card - 333MHz NPU, Smoother Gameplay, Gigabit 10/100/1000 Mbps

Killer NIC K1â„¢- Gaming Network Card - 333MHz NPU, Smoother Gameplay, Gigabit 101001000 Mbps B011-500-0045 at TigerDirect.com

CD ROM - Sony DRUV200A/BR DVD/CD Rewritable IDE Retail Drive

Sony DRUV200ABR DVDCD Rewritable IDE Retail Drive at TigerDirect.com

OS - Windows Vista Home Prem 64-bit DSP OEM DVD with Service Pack 1

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3746812&Sku=M17-7414 SP1

Power Supply - Xilence XP600 600-Watt Gaming Edition - ATX, 135mm Fan, SLI-Ready, CrossFire Ready, SATA-Ready

Xilence XP600 600-Watt Gaming Edition - ATX, 135mm Fan, SLI-Ready, CrossFire Ready, SATA-Ready at TigerDirect.com

ouch, here's a general rule of thumb, NewEgg it first. Well now what do you plan on doing with this build?

That will determine what you need.

And btw just me but I've found that the Killer K1 card was the biggest waste of money I've ever invested, i sold mine before using it for a week. I'd save you money.

and also if you want the GTX 280 that's great but do NOT get that CPU or your GTX will be severely bottle necked, your gonna need to look at the E8400 instead, something you don't wanna do is gimp it where it counts and your CPU IS you system. lol I'll edit in my suggestions

EDIT: judging my your initial post I'd say you want to game.

well I have no basis where to start but I'll take a shot in the dark
mobo:Newegg.com - Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
GFX: Newegg.com - XFX GX260NADBF GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

that could be a start but we really need an idea of what you plan to do. note I'm suggesting the gtx 260 216 instead as it is $100 cheaper and offers outstanding performance near that of the GTX 280 and unless your gonna run some high resolutions or Crysis you may not need all the power of the GTX 280 but hey let's hear what you want

Also if your going into a higher end build for $10 more you can get an Antec

Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

this case has great airflow stock and allows for a great building environment as it's very roomy and not to mention right now this thing has a ton of great combo deals with the GTx 280's and a GTx 260 216 it also has some psu combo deals

here's all the combo's Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Why in God's name would you pair AMD with a gtx 280, let alone an AMD x2 series. Go Intel, don't look back. That network card is pretty much made to sucker people into buying something they doesn't even benefit them.

as said get intel, much better atm

e8500
gigabyte ud3 mobo
gskill PI black ram 4gb
WD 640gb hd
gtx 260 core 216

thats the ideal system you would want to get. paired with a nice cpu cooler to overclock the e8500. althought you could spend the extra say about 1300 and get an i7 build liek this

intel core 920
gigabyte ud5
gskill ddr1600 PI black 3gb
core 216
wd 640gb

which way you go is up to your cash flow i guess. both will max out every title atm, also thunder, a word of advice, dont get intel motherboards, they are usually overpriced and dont have the best overclockign features or ability as other motherboards. thats also an intel chipset 975 which is very old, about the same time as the e6600 was released. wont even supprot e8500 or any wolfdale for that matter out of the box.

How about an i7 build? It's a little more expensive (like $450) but your GPU won't bw bottlenecked, and you can switch from game, to game, to forum, to virus scan, and to anything else in like seconds.

An i7 build would be a very nice way to go, and he could also downgrade the gtx 280 a little bit -- it seems like that graphics card is probably gonna be a bit overkill. But it's ultimately up to him. He might actually want the gtx 280, but I do think he almost has to go Intel. AMD is definitely not the way to go with his build.

the thing is he hasn't really made it clear what he wants to do with this rig, I mean if he's going to be using it to play Runescape (cough) or something like that and some everyday tasks then he's not going to need the big bad i7 and a GTX280 but if he plans on something like crysis :)D) then I'm all for that.

Point is this guy needs to show up to make his uses clear ya know?

as said get intel, much better atm

thats also an intel chipset 975 which is very old, about the same time as the e6600 was released. wont even supprot e8500 or any wolfdale for that matter out of the box.

Ohh and sorry I didn't realize that until you pointed it out, my bad (i was tired)

you guys should ask an important question before hollering "BOTTLENECK!!!"...like, "what resolution will your monitor be?"
1920 x 1200 with 4-8AA, a 6000 aint gonna bottleneck. a 5000BE overclocked probably wouldnt.

i agree, the killer nic is a ridiculous ploy. you're best bet is to pick a server close to you heh heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom