Possible upgrade option - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart
 
Hussein19891's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,209
Send a message via MSN to Hussein19891
Default Re: Possible upgrade option

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurusan View Post
why two cards.

lame
So he can crossfire some where down the road when a single 4850 no longer cuts it.
__________________

__________________


Hussein19891 is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 806
Default Re: Possible upgrade option

Yep, I want this to be future proof as possible. Thanks for that board recommendation, in my novice opinion it looks pretty good. Now, will my ddr2 pc6400 800mhz ram work well with that board? Or do I need to get faster ram like it has under the specs?
__________________

Thresh25 is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
baron5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,984
Default Re: Possible upgrade option

but if theres already a card that can pass 2 4870's (x2) whats the point in backing ur self up for xfire 4850's? imo sli/xfire is only worth if the cards are gonna be bought at the same time or close to each other (couple months)
__________________
<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

baron5 is offline  
Old 09-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
ricanflow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Euless, Tx
Posts: 6,317
Default Re: Possible upgrade option

Future proof is pretty much near impossible in this pc hardware world.

Guys were paying $270 back in the beginning of the year for an 8800GT which now gets stomped on by a cheaper HD4850. Are you looking for improved game performance now???
__________________
3DMARK06 = 20,341 (3.8GHZ)



Laptop
P7350 | GTX 260M | 4GB DDR2 800 | 320GB HD | X-Fi | Vista 64

Folding Rig/File Server

M775 | E1200 | Foxconn P9657AB
| Dual 8800GT | Antec NeoHE 500 | Barracuda 80GB | Wintec Ampx



ricanflow is offline  
Old 09-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 806
Default Re: Possible upgrade option

Yeah. I won't probably be building until around November for sure, I want to get ready for Starcraft 2 and other future games. The point of crossfire is this, get one lone good card now, and then when it comes down quite a bit pick up another for cheap, instead of trying to sell it and use a **** load of more money on a brand new one when I can go SLI or crossfire for similar performance as the more expensive.
Thresh25 is offline  
Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
ricanflow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Euless, Tx
Posts: 6,317
Default Re: Possible upgrade option

Well i was gonna say just upgrade your gpu now, get like a 9600GSO or an 8800GT.

You will notice a nice jump in performance, even with that cpu.
__________________
3DMARK06 = 20,341 (3.8GHZ)



Laptop
P7350 | GTX 260M | 4GB DDR2 800 | 320GB HD | X-Fi | Vista 64

Folding Rig/File Server

M775 | E1200 | Foxconn P9657AB
| Dual 8800GT | Antec NeoHE 500 | Barracuda 80GB | Wintec Ampx



ricanflow is offline  
Old 09-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: Possible upgrade option

Well you overclocked the X2 4000+ to about the speeds of my current X2 4600+...

I think rican is right, maybe just stick with that now and get a new GPU
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 09-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 806
Default Re: Possible upgrade option

Well, I had it OCed to 2.4ghz, but it's too unstable so I had to clock it down to 2.3ghz. I think I will just save for a more future proof system, as I think my mobo kind of sucks.
Thresh25 is offline  
Old 09-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
ricanflow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Euless, Tx
Posts: 6,317
Default Re: Possible upgrade option

Stop messing with the cpu, and just buy a better card, thats whats really holding you back.
__________________
3DMARK06 = 20,341 (3.8GHZ)



Laptop
P7350 | GTX 260M | 4GB DDR2 800 | 320GB HD | X-Fi | Vista 64

Folding Rig/File Server

M775 | E1200 | Foxconn P9657AB
| Dual 8800GT | Antec NeoHE 500 | Barracuda 80GB | Wintec Ampx



ricanflow is offline  
Old 09-18-2008, 07:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
baron5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,984
Default Re: Possible upgrade option

yeah that will ultimately make the most difference. dont forget 9600gso Is a 8800gs so 8800gs would be a good option too, and in my experience as you can see in my Sig, it overclocks very nicely. i think it comes close to 8800gt performance if you can get about as much i i got from this card.
__________________

__________________
<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

baron5 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medium computer upgrade. muman System Upgrades 6 09-14-2007 04:53 PM
Best upgrade option for $200 regeisle New Systems | Building and Buying 13 08-10-2007 01:25 PM
Resolution Problems in Ubuntu aetherh4cker Linux and Open Source 7 08-07-2007 07:25 PM
Upgrade Advice for my system Cheeseking25 New Systems | Building and Buying 2 07-25-2007 02:28 PM
Slight annoyance with xgl Skuzzle Linux and Open Source 10 04-08-2007 10:04 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.