Possible stupid Q... X4 vs X2..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go with a phenom and am2+ board and then upgrade when deneb comes out (45nm amd quadcore which seems to be good at this point). Since CPU upgrades are among the easiest imo I think this would be a better idea since socket 775 will be going bye bye soon.

There have been almost no benchmarks of deneb released yet and it is way to early to tell. Agena was expected to be significantly faster than Core 2 before it launched and look how that turned out.

AMD's quads aren't bad as long as you consider being the worst quads on the market good. Call me an Intel Fanboy if you want. Just remember that my last two machines were AMD.

This has nothing to do with Intel or AMD, it has everything to do with getting the best bang for buck. Right now AMD can't compete in the cpu category, the graphics cards are a different matter altogether. But Intel's edge in the cpu market is irrefutable at this time.

You make it like the phenom is a bad choice though, when it is a nice inexpensive quad. They still perform well and the upgrade ability is still there for the future. The 45nm phenom atm looks to be good, and if it ends up being a fail, you still have a good quad core from AMD. There still is much debate over whether a quad or a dual core is better for gaming. People still debate over whether to get the q6600 or the e8500. Just like about the whole phenom smoothness (which many on XS agree with).

There are many Intel fannies here, I myself have a q6600 but I never dismiss either side.

The phenom isn't "bad" the Intel is just better. It's faster and has a better price point. Why would you buy something inferior? Especially the way the global economy is. The Phenom is a fine processor, its just not the smartest decision right now. Numbers don't lie.

I understand people recommending X2's and the like for more budget rigs. But there isn't much of a reason to go phenom. The revision may change that but it is far from a guarantee and its more likely to be a small boost.

You make it like the phenom is a bad choice though, when it is a nice inexpensive quad. They still perform well and the upgrade ability is still there for the future. The 45nm phenom atm looks to be good, and if it ends up being a fail, you still have a good quad core from AMD. There still is much debate over whether a quad or a dual core is better for gaming. People still debate over whether to get the q6600 or the e8500. Just like about the whole phenom smoothness (which many on XS agree with).

There are many Intel fannies here, I myself have a q6600 but I never dismiss either side.

The Phenom is a bad choice compared to Intel's current offerings especially if you overclock. When there are only two competitors second place dosn't mean much.

Stating the truth doesn't make someone a fanboy.

lol as much as i hate to admit it....
about the only good time to suggest an x2 would be if the person has an aging x2 3800 and needs more juice. then the suggestion would be get an x2 5400BE and overclock like mad.
but as far as ground-up builds, even the cheap intels are better (sic. "faster).
and this comes from the ex-AMD fanboy king (or prince, i should say....apok holds the crown).
hopefully the 45nm will be something to look at. if they fail like phenom, man o man intels are going to get expensive.

lol as much as i hate to admit it....
about the only good time to suggest an x2 would be if the person has an aging x2 3800 and needs more juice. then the suggestion would be get an x2 5400BE and overclock like mad.
but as far as ground-up builds, even the cheap intels are better (sic. "faster).
and this comes from the ex-AMD fanboy king (or prince, i should say....apok holds the crown).
hopefully the 45nm will be something to look at. if they fail like phenom, man o man intels are going to get expensive.

And what's worse is that there will be Pentium Dual-Cores that are Wolfdales.... that's going to hurt...

But there isn't much of a reason to go phenom.
Upgradeabilty when you go am2+ coupled with the fact that the phenom is not a bad cpu.

The revision may change that but it is far from a guarantee and its more likely to be a small boost.
The 45nm phenom code named Deneb is expected to have quite a nice boost. If the only game you play is superpi, then OK go Intel.

Stating the truth doesn't make someone a fanboy.
Exactly, just like how I am not an AMD fanboy. Still stating the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom