Possible new computer, opinions wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakhathsk

Baseband Member
These are the components I'm looking into, I'm getting this machine specifically for gaming.

Power Supply: ( 600 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready )

Processor: Intel Core i7 Processor 920 x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache

Motherboard:MSI X58 Platinum Intel X58 CrossFire Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E MB

Memory 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 Triple Memory Module Corsair Value or Major Brand

Video Card: 2x ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB PCI-Express x16 - running CrossFire mode

Hard Drive: 500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]

Operation System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic 64-Bit

I have a few questions.

Would the Geforce GTX 280 be better than two crossfired Radeon HD 4870s? If I get the GTX280 I could possibly upgrade the processor to the i7 940 but I'm not sure if this would be better overall for gaming.

Is the power supply sufficient?

And the last question, I'm fairly clueless on motherboards. Is this motherboard ok? Or will it bottleneck the system somehow?

I appreciate any info!

4870's in Crossfire are faster than a single GTX 280. If you are considering the GTX 280, you should just get a 260 Core 216 instead. They can overclock to GTX 280 speeds and perform pretty much the same.

Keep the 920 i7. A 920 can perform at 940 speeds with overclock, and is a good value. And no, an X58 mobo will not bottleneck, they're high quality and are made for i7's. What brand PSU do you have? It sounds like you're ordering from a pre-building place like IBuyPower or CyberPower PC's. I suggest building it yourself as you'll get better quality parts for the same price.

I wouldn't even think about purchasing Vista Home Basic either, you may aswell go with Ultimate and chose what you want out of it. Basic is missing alot of features and will restrict you in the future. For the sake of a few extra dollars I think Ultimate would be a better buy.

Nice build though, I am in the middle of virtually the same except I am waiting for the GTX295 to be released next week ._.

Uh, there is hardly any difference between Home and Ultimate. Ultimate isn't even worth the extra money.

Home Premium is the version of Vista to get. Home basic has to few features and Ultimate has very few things Home premium doesn't.

Home Premium is the version of Vista to get. Home basic has to few features and Ultimate has very few things Home premium doesn't.

Agreed with Puddle...

I know so many friends who bought Ultimate and feel ripped off because they did.

Uh, there is hardly any difference between Home and Ultimate. Ultimate isn't even worth the extra money.

I disagree and know many others who feel the same as me. Theres just always something missing in the home or basic versions. Never quite runs as good as ultimate.

I disagree and know many others who feel the same as me. Theres just always something missing in the home or basic versions. Never quite runs as good as ultimate.

The only things that are missing in Premium vs Ultimate are the full system backup (like norton ghost) and the remote management tools. Only a handful of people are going to use these features and so most of the time it is not worth it.

This has absolutely no impact on the performance, so please do not mislead people. It is purely these extra features that are corporate oriented, nothing to do with the way it runs.

Plus most of the Vista Ultimate Extra's have free alternate versions or are free already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom