Possible dead mobo - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Patron

Default Possible dead mobo

Background info:
Installed a new mobo last week its an Asus striker 2 Formula and was a B-grade RMA' board (I couldn't resist it was half price of the retail). Everything worked fine for the first 4 days then one morning I woke up to a black screen. I originally thought the Gfx card had gone and wasn't to annoyed as I had just bought another for an Sli pair (which arrived today).

Problem
I am not getting an display from my computer at all so can't run memtests or bios. My computer does start up and sounds as if everything is good but no signal is ever sent to the screen. I have tried;
Changing monitors
Changing graphics cards
Changing pci-e x16 slot 3 times with both cards

I am a bit stuck now should I call up Asus and have a little rant or should I do the extremely tedious and seemingly inevitable task of taking out the mobo and swapping it for my old one P5B deluxe. Bear in mind my case is extremely compact, overfilled and to take out the motherboard involves taking out every other component. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts of what else to try....

Ps the system speaker does go off if I try to install the gfx card without the 6pin plug which surely shows it detects something......

Edit: The strangeness continues either I was hallucinating or my computer just booted into the bios however I turned it off and on again (to install the other graphics card, I am an impatient person) and now nothing appears again (no signal still). I didn't change anything when installing the sli except the obvious card in socket manoeuvre and the 6pin plug in the back of the card. If I wasn't hallucinating then I now know the one that came today is definitely working as well as my old card which I am fairly sure is..... I have tried another 12 times swapping pci-exp ports and cards and no signal must of been a dream of it working before.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

Default Re: Possible dead mobo

Do the fans on the video cards spin up? Could be a PSU issue, and maybe they're not getting enough power.

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 10-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Patron

Fans spin up on both cards everything appears normal except no picture is displayed. The psu is also 800W and the top of the line BFG (new in the market but has very good reviews) so unlikely to be PSU related.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

Try resetting the CMOS, or trying only one stick of ram. If still nothing, then the motherboard is more than likely faulty.

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 10-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Patron

I have tried that those were the first things I did just forgot to put it in whoops . I will crack out the screwdriver tomoz and try my other mobo if that works first time then I going to call asus