Possible to build 2 process i7? (8 physical cores) - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: Possible to build 2 process i7? (8 physical cores)

theheresy: What about case, power supply, harddrives, optical drives, RAM? Other parts?

Do you already have these or do you need to increase budget to include them?

Old 12-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Guys thanks for the help so far..in terms of computer building I'm a noob can you guys take this a bit further in explaining to me some of the following things:

1. what is the difference between i7, xenon, and nehalem, I thought that they were all basically the same thing?
2. what would be cheapest to build a dual CPU (i.e. 2quad core, 8core total), would it be two i7's or two xenons or what?

Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste View Post
theheresy: What about case, power supply, harddrives, optical drives, RAM? Other parts?

Do you already have these or do you need to increase budget to include them?
Yes, I need a case, power supply, dvd drive and ram so yes the budget will go up due to that, hard drive I possibly will have for it..it's just that those prices are somewhat negligible, everything you listed minus the ram I'm assuming can be 100-200$ total, then another few hundred for a lot of ram so I'm supposing 1500$ or so at the least total...what do you guys think?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheresy View Post
1. what is the difference between i7, xenon, and nehalem, I thought that they were all basically the same thing?
Nehalem is the chip architecture.
Both i7 and the newer Xeon ie 3500 and 5500 series are based upon the Nehalem architecture.
The i7 is the Desktop version while the Xeon in the Server version (ecc ram compatible among other things)

Keep in mind for a dual cpu setup you would need an X version ie X5500 Xeon. They support two QPI links.

Here is a good read to get you a little acquainted with the technology involved.
iXBT Labs - Intel Xeon "Nehalem" - Page 1: Some history

Waiting for the server guys to give you some feedback on potential builds as I am more of a desktop and htpc guy.

I was just making sure you did not want a dual cpu for a killer gaming system which it would not be.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 12-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefemeister View Post
Keep in mind for a dual cpu setup you would need an X version ie X5500 Xeon. They support two QPI links.
Interestingly, it is actually the sequence number X5550 that indicates it supports dual processors, 3 being uni processor only and 7 being up to 8 processors.
AFAIK desktop processors have been incompatible with SMP since pentium 3 and that situation has not changed. (in response to an earlier question)

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread