Is This Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenderGuy

Beta member
Hello all

Thank you for taking the time to help out a Noob, or even just reading this long post. I am making a fair amount of money this summer and am looking to build a powerful desktop computer for my work/school and also hobbies (I would like to start getting into animation). I was hoping to get advice/recommendations on the best system for my needs but also advice on the setup I've been thinking about (if it's possible, counter-productive, etc.) My macbook pro simply is not cutting it anymore :p I am looking to spend $3000 but am flexible.

I am also wondering if it is best to go with all server/workstation equipment, or if it is possible or even desirable to mix.

I'm an architecture student and I use the following programs:
AutoCad
SketchUp
Revit
Cinema 4d
3ds Max
Artlantis Render
Maxwell Render
Vray
Adobe Suite

I would like to begin experimenting with Maya as well but I have heard that certain equipment is very incompatible with Maya, eg. the workstation graphics card I am thinking about. Also, if you have any recommendations for great programs to try out that is appreciated as well :)

So here is roughly what I am considering:
CPU
I wanted two CPUs, the i7-2600K but discovered this is not possible so I am leaning towards the i7-960 Bloomfield
- Will it being 45 nm make that much of a difference, does this create compatibility issues with other equipment?
- Would two of these i7-960 be significantly more superior to say one i7-970 Gulftown or one of the extreme editions?
- I read that there is a rumor about intel making a motherboard to support two i7-2600Ks, should I wait a bit?

MEMORY
24GB or 32 GB using 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 either Crucial or G.Skill

WORKSTATION VIDEO CARD
ATI 100-505604 FirePro V7800 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x 16 CrossFire Supported Workstation Video Card

MAIN DRIVE
Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD

MOTHERBOARD
???
This is where I have a lot of confusion. I have never built a computer before and feel out of my depth in figuring out compatibility with all of the items I want. I know I must take into account pins for memory, 1333 vs. 1156 for CPUs though I have no idea what this is, and have a vague idea that research needs to be done regarding power supply and heat generation.

MAIN QUESTIONS
- Is this possible?
- If I am going with a "server" motherboard, ie. two sockets should I be getting "server" CPUs, etc.?

Thank you very much for reading this! I really appreciate it!

On the cpu.... If you mean dual socket, neither one of those will do it. ONLY Intel Xeon or AMD Opitron chips can be used in multi socket setups. This is all server gear and require server boards, psu's.. they have 2 8pin power plugs, and ram... and a huge case.

It's nearly not cost efficent to build that.

If you're ewaiting till the end of summer, Hopefully Sandybridge 1155 hex cores are released, and those would be your best choice along with the appropriate ram and mobo, which is just normal computer stuff.

What a good plan would bge is to go 2500k, then see how much boost hex cores are when they come out finally.

This way you don't waste a pile of money on parts, and it will kill the MBP.

You don't need a server gpu, just a quality nvidia card can be used to speed up things in most apps.

Going server multisockets are thousands of dollars, and not worth it as a home user.

Welcome to techforums too.

I also use the program's Revit and AutoCad. Both are great and helpful. But bare in mind that to render images effectively in Revit 2009-2011 you're going to need a good graphics card. Revit's very picky and tempermental. Also, you probably are already aware of this but there is a website devoted completely to revit families as well as rendered images, check it out! RevitCity.com

Hi everyone, thanks for the advice. I think I will go for a single socket with a ton of RAM and a good openGL graphics card. I can not believe I haven't seen that site before. Thank you for the link!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom