POLL- OC'ing.

Would you request a kidnapping?

• Of course I'll sign up now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah too much and the henchmen aren't scary

• I'm already signed up just waiting for the kidnap!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
it a waste of money when u buy special ram and water cooling. just so u can get the perfomance of a system that would of cost less to build. Extreme overcloaking.

spend 200 dollars on a processor to get 800 dollar processor performance, while spending about 50-100 dollars on nice OCing ram, and 50 dollars on a nice cpu heatsink, perferably from zalman. spending in total 300-400 dollars on getting a performance from an 800 dollar processor :D

efd753 said:
Just so u can get the perfomance of a system that would of cost less to build.

What're you smoking? I have a $200 processor in a $1000 system, and my processor performs like a $800 processor. You can't have a $800 processor in a $1000 system unless you overclock, its just not done.

Strictly IMO

Overclocking does have some benefits at some degree.
Example: $500 X2 4400+ can overclock to & above $800 X2 4800+
You'll need some OCing RAM which will probably cost Double the price of value, But in the end you get the same or better performance while saving a few bucks. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Extreme Overclocking is purely a hobbist activity. There is no practical application for having your PC components spread out on a workbench with LN2 pouring all over the place. It's cool to see crazy numbers... push the limits to the max... But not practical...

Well OC RAM was worth it in my case. I did pay the extra £70 ($130) but i got it a lot faster than with normal RAM about 15% and with no extra cooling again. You say you get processor to run at an $800 performence. But surely then you could get the $800 processor to run at $1500 performence overclocked so like i said it's worth it up to a point. With the watercooling I see your point with a quiter system and everything but it'll be even better if you buy your self a small freezer and put your computer in there :D . It's virtually slient (except for the freezer) probably cheaper than watercooling and your probably get a higher overclock. Or you could go completely silent and go oil cooled http://www.house117.co.uk/oilpc . Lol great idea. I might actually try putting my computer in a freezer :)

i can OC my hdd, cause 2 of the sata ports are unlocked O_O
you're overclocking the data BUS, not the HDD. And of course overclocking the data BUS does nothing but give you corrupt files

i overclock purely for bragging rights!..."ya my PII 500mhz is OC'd to 40ghz" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom