PLZ help with build

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdot-mex

Solid State Member
hey im new here and some what new to building high end rigs, iv been doing alot of reading on OC and building custom gaming rigs ,iv been reading up on alot of different hardware and stuff to try and get something high end with out breaking the bank, i made a list of a build that i think should be decent i just needed some advice and see what u guys think i also have a total incl the tax i would be paying if i bought all new also was hoping for a few suggestions on maybe a few things that would be better or more efficient and also to make sure its all compatible, i know there are better more expensive products then some on the list but im trying to balance i would be mostly playing onling games and burning movies and such i want to be able to runs games like ARMA 2 and CRISIS on max with no problems, thanks for any advice

LIST:
MB: evga x58 sli LE -316.99

GPU: (X2) BFG geforce 9800 gx2 maybe gtx 280,285, i would like the 295 h2o but i think they run like 600+, for the 9800gx2 there 356.99 each

PSU: ultra x4 1050w sli ready - 249.97

PROCESSOR: Intel core I7 920 2.66 GHz quad core - 309.97

RAM: corsair dominator DHX 4GB dual CH DDR3 1600 MHz - 209.99

HARD DRIVE: WD velociraptor 150 GB HD 10,000 rpm 16 mb sata-3 - 237.99

ROM DRIVE: LG GH22NP20 DVDRW Drive - DVD+R 22X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD-RAM12X, CD-R 48X, CD-RW 32X, IDE (OEM) - 34.97

CARD READER: ultra MD3 media dashboard - 37.99

COOLING - need suggestions on a nice water cooling system around 500 or cheaper ?

CASE - cooler master HAF 932 full tower - 149.97

SOUND CARD - creative labs sound blaster X-Fi xtream gamer pci sound card - 118.99

OS - was thinking on staying with xp but from 32 to 64 but not sure if i should try vista

the total for this is around 3200 CAD any advice is appreciated

cheers

just a couple thoughts:

GPU: Go with the HD 5870 (compares with the 295 i believe)... or depending on how much you can spend the 5970
PSU: 1000w is overkill - I'm not the one to answer how big you would need, but with the notion of possible SLI/xfire i'd say 750w would be fine
HD: velociraptor is a waste of money. Get a small SSD for OS and a WD Black HD for storage
Soundcard: Probably don't need one of these.

These changes will probably cost you less money and have the same or better performance.

Edit: If you are getting the I7 920 then you should get 6GB (3x2gb) of DDR3 ram for triple channel to work

Edit 2:
I'm not too familiar with LGA1366 boards, but here is my go at it
ASUS Rampage II extreme - 389.99 at newegg.ca
-good overclocking board
-comes with a sound card
- Get the combo with the i7920 and save $20 (669.98 at newegg.ca)
- SLI or Xfire compatible

the evga x58 LE i think only runs sli its not sli and crossfire the evga x58 classified runs both but its way more , also if i dont get a sound card wont i be running onboard sound? and i got the 1050 w so i could lave some room for up grades also i choose the velociraptor cuz of the 10,000 rpm wont that make a different with games and general speed over a 7200 rpm hard drive??

ya the triple ch sounds good also the rampage xtream is going for 471.99 on tiger direct im gunna check the site u listed, thanks

edit; seems likes everythings cheaper then tiger direct,

If you don't get soundcard then yes you will be using onboard sound which these days is all that most people (including gamers) need.

Right now, for a top of the line rig, you will want to look at the HD 5xxx series GPU's unless you want to wait to see what FERMI will do. They support DX11 and is the best line out there right now.

Would be kind of silly to sli/x-fire off the get go where as you get less performance per dollar then if you would go with 1 of the next best card. If you want Ultra GPU performance then go with the HD5970 will run about $675ca and x-fire later on down the road when you notice performance is starting to slip.

velociraptor would offer better performance than a 7200rpm HDD however a small solid state drive for your OS and a game or 2 would offer supremely better performance than a velociraptor, and then get a 7200rpm HDD for your storage.

as i said with the PSU, i'm not the guy to ask about that. but I believe an 850w would probably be ok for this rig... even with the future upgrade to x-fire. but i'm not too sure, better wait for someone else to answer that question

EDIT: I think the dominator series ram is a little pricey, but I haven't looked into that stuff too much either. but this would be my pick
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231247

thanks for the info ive been looking on newegg and they have alot better prices then tiger direct

How's this?:

Asus Rampage II Extreme and I7 920 combo - $669.98
XFX HD5870 - $411.99
Gskill 6GB(3x2GB) DDR31600 8-8-8-21 - $185.49
HAF 932 Case - $139.99
Sunbeam Core Contact CPU Cooler - $36.99 and LGA 1366 retention bracket - $8.99
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB HD - $74.99
Corsair 1000HX modular PSU - 279.99
Windows 7 home premium for system builders - $119.99

Total = $1928.41 cad

going off of your original budget, that would leave $1000 cad (rough figure of $200 for taxes and S&H) for you to pick:
Optical Drive
Card Reader
If you want an SSD or not. (with this much left in budget I would) Someone else here should tell you which one to get though.

I think that is everything needed for this rig. How does it look?

Edit: I just noticed that the ram that i liked above for you may not be a good idea if going with the core contact (or any tower style cpu cooler) due to the tall heat sinks on the ram modules. These Sticks have virtually identical specs, same price, same company, but a smaller heatsink. May be a better buy. Gskill 6GB(3x2GB) Ripjaw DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 - $185.49

also. Do you plan on overclocking? If not, or if only a little, then water cooled setup is not needed. I picked the core contact cpu cooler for you because it is a good cooler for mild to moderate overclocking and is easy on the wallet. If you do need a water cooler, I would suggest taking a look in the "PC Cooling" section of the "Overclocking and Case Mod" section of this forum as I have never gotten into water cooling.

what do u think would be better the EVGA X58 classified or the rampage xtream 2 i do plan on doing some over clocking not to xtream i was thinking on the water cooled cuz i wanted to lave room for play the power supply and GPU sound good tho, so many things to choose from these companies need to chill. if money wasent an issue what would you build ? also i was looking at the corsair dominator 6 gb tri ch Newegg.ca - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Desktop Memory it says its the ultra ram for X58 and I7 combo ..lol

the EVGA classified is only worth it if you plan on extreme overclocking. The ASUS rampage should be more than sufficient for anything other than an extreme OC.

The ram that I suggested above has the same specs as the corsair and is nearly half the price and from a good brand.

If you wanted a CPU cooler that is better than the Sunbeam Core Contact, you could go with the Thermalright TRUE 120. Its a bit more expensive, but is an excellent HSF.

If money was not an option at all then i would get something like the I7 975 extreme (or whatever their top CPU is right now) and ddr3 2333 ram, and the evga classified, but between those 3 upgrades, you would be adding about $2000 to your build and you might notice a slight difference in game play. Would only be really noticeable in benchmarks. With the build i have for you above, the upgrade that would give you the most Noticeable performance boost would be to get a Solid State drive for your OS and Games. If you wanted to throw a couple of games onto it, then get a larger one wich will run you 800-1000cad but the results will be remarkable.

For what you seem to want the build for, you would be better off going with the build I suggested above with a solid state drive if you have some extra cash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom