Please review my Black Friday buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyG

Baseband Member
This will be my first build. It took me some time to pick out all the parts which I will be getting on Black Friday from newegg. Would you please review the parts that I selected and let me know if I am missing something or some things are incompatible. I won't be overclocking at this point since I am a total noob at this. Maybe later as I get more knowledge. My budget is $1200. I am right under as of right now $1193.87. I am hopping for better deals to come on Friday. I apreciate your time and effort in helping me put together my first rig!Thank you

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - Saitek PZ30AU Black 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard - Keyboards

Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors

Newegg.com - Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming-Grade Mouse - Mouse

Newegg.com - Rosewill RCX-Z775-LX 92mm Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM SATA Combo - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - Operating Systems

You might want to wait for quad prices to go down, since the Q6600 batched can only go to 3.0GHz, aybe 3.2, but the i7 just came out. Just wait for the Q9550 to go down, and buy that. You can also get a Corsair 750TX PSU, it's just for any upgrades in the future. And you should maybe get a Saitek Eclipse 2, instead of the orginal, because I think they fixed some kinks. And you should the the sunbeam core contact freezer, instead of the rosewill cooler.

Other than those I mentioned, youre build looks great! =D

meh component prices will change so much in the next few months virtually no point planning ahead. That build looks fine if you were building tomoz although the resolution may warrant a 4850 with 1gb of onboard memory

meh component prices will change so much in the next few months virtually no point planning ahead. That build looks fine if you were building tomoz although the resolution may warrant a 4850 with 1gb of onboard memory

Something like this?

Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX4850 1GBD3-PPH Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I will go with 1337_JohnN suggestion of Corsair 750TX PSU since there is not much difference between 550VX and Saitek 2.

If you don't want to wait for CPU prices to drop, you could look into this one for 50 bucks more. It's much newer technology.

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

And if you want a keyboard more aimed at gaming:

Newegg.com - Logitech G11 Silver & Black 104 Normal Keys 29 Function Keys USB Standard Gaming Keyboard - Keyboards

58 bucks, will probably go on sale at the end of the week though.

This hard drive has a larger cache, and will be faster. It's 500 gb though, but not many people really need 640 gigs. It's worth losing 140 gb for better speed in my opinion.

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

CPU Cooler:

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Graphics card:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Oh, and the 650w Corsair will do you just fine for future upgrades:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

The quad change is quite imporatant aswell as it will greatly increase overclocks.

I can't afford anything better then Q6600 at this point but I need to get the parts no later then Friday since I just moved out and have no computer at all. Would it be a better idea to go with Duo E8500 then?

with a 1200 bones to spend you might want to go with a core i7. on friday the prices should have gone down some more.

yeah i'd see what prices dropped on friday. definitely go with a 45nm quad if at all possible and the sunbeam cooler.
the PSU you have picked is sufficient, but always good to have upgrade room.

philbar it might be hard to make that work with 1200, seeing as the price for ddr3 is a bit more than the dirt cheap ddr2 800 prices. and the mobos are almost twice as much. maybe a good drop in price friday it would be possible.

iggy the 8500 would be better suited for current games yes. but a quad is a nice thing to have. i can play COD5 and fold with 2 cores at the same time. could probably fold with 3 cores while playing, but that is questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom