Please review final specs for I7 system purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puressence

In Runtime
Hey Guys,
So this is to continue and wrap up the purchasing phase for my i7 system that I am going to be building. I already purchased the core i7 920, a corsair 850 watt PSU, and the Coolermaster HAF 932. The rest of what I want to get is here: Any last minute changes you guys can think of, or am I good to go?

OS:Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Motherboard:Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TpowerX58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

GPU (factory overclocked):Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1287-AR GeForce GTX 285 SSC Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

RAM:Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

HDD(storage)Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

HDD(2 for raid 0)Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

DVD-ROM:Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - CD / DVD Drives

DVD burner:Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

CPU cooler and bracket:
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

I know the 640 gigs are large for a raid 0 setup, but with the size of games and programs both today, and the future, as well as the cost of drives being relatively cheap, I figured that bigger drives would be okay. If anyone is adamant about getting smaller drives for the raid setup, please speak up.
Thanks,
-Pure

This hard drive is cheaper and is just as good:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Why do you have two optical drives? The DVD burner you picked will do the same functions as the DVD ROM.

Hmm, thanks for the recommendation. I thought that as far as reliability goes, WD was the brand to stick with. Am I wrong on that? Also, on a side note, I just purchased over $50 worth of LEDs and Cathodes. Hope my PSU has enough cables to handle all of it. And I added an additional optical drive for burning dvds. I have a feeling I am about to feel like an uber noob.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

You can go with the Western Digital, nothing wrong with it, just figured I'd throw out there that the Samsung is slightly cheaper.

I think for the $20 more, I will go with the peace of mind with the brand that I am hearing mostly good things about. But thank you for the advice GT7. Was it Samsung that bought out Maxtor?

the psu will have plenty of connections,

and so you know you will only need one connection of one rail for everything, as long as it's got a good amount of amperage ,
almost all LED's/cathodes are pass thru's so all you do is daisy chain all the lighting and you good to go.

of course some lighting may not have long enough cords to chain together, just use a closer molex

the psu will have plenty of connections,

and so you know you will only need one connection of one rail for everything, as long as it's got a good amount of amperage ,
almost all LED's/cathodes are pass thru's so all you do is daisy chain all the lighting and you good to go.

of course some lighting may not have long enough cords to chain together, just use a closer molex

*Knows who to turn to when the wiring gives me a headache.
So for the daisy chaining, am I going to need a soldering iron? I plan on at minimum getting some wire cutters/crimpers. You'll have to excuse me, but this will be my first "wiring project" so to speak.
-Pure

*Knows who to turn to when the wiring gives me a headache.
So for the daisy chaining, am I going to need a soldering iron? I plan on at minimum getting some wire cutters/crimpers. You'll have to excuse me, but this will be my first "wiring project" so to speak.
-Pure

No bro... the LEDs/fans have one connector that receives power from the psu (just plug it in, not splice)... and one that sends it to the next led/fan... and so on... (like he said) unless the wires are too short to reach... in which case you would use the closest psu connector to send power to the unreachable fan... kinda like stringing christmas lights... ya know? (male end plugs to wall... other end of string has female for the next string to feed? I think you will just need some screws maybe... a screwdriver... and patience.

I've been reading really good reviews about the Samsung drives. Seagate's reviews have been going down hill since they moved their factory to [insert correct south-east Asian country here], so that leaves WD and Samsung as the more reliable brands. Either would be fine, and you can get unlucky with both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom