Please Help! Windows keeps rebooting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

infiltrator7

Daemon Poster
Ok, I need some serious help. My problem is that whenever I get to the main windows logon screen, my computer reboots when I click a name. I just installed new memory today, and I thought that maybe that was the problem, but I tried my old memory and it does the exact same thing. The only other thing that I can think of is I tried to OC my computer about an hour before this happened. I pushed the FSB up to 210mhz but windows rebooted, so I tried 205, then just gave up and went back to 200mhz. The computer was working fine after this, for about an hour, when stuff started freezing up, so I restarted the computer. Now whenever I click on a name on the logon screen it reboots.

Please help me!

I was thinking it was more of a hardware problem, but I guess that could help. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

OK here is my suggestion:

Take your motherboards manual and look for the motherboard blueprint, on it look for a jumper called JMOS or CMOS or CCMOS, something with that combination of words [if you find the JMOS, then right next to it should be the CMOS]

Look for instructions how to set up the jumper on the motherboard so it will short the cmos and restart it [It will wipe all the current configurations and restart everything back to defaults on the BIOS], once you put the jumper on clearing the cmos configuration, power up you're computer for 10-15 seconds and then shut it down by pressing the power on/off button for 10 seconds, then replace the CMOS jumper on its default settings and viola.

Why do I suggest this? Because this sounds like your bios is stuck on the bad OC settings, although you lowerd the FSB on the BIOS it sounds like it didnt really update or theres some left overs of the OC that caused the problems, this should fix it completly.

Heres another method if you do not know what is jumper or where the cmos jumper is, or what to do with it once you find it:

There is a Lithium Battery on you're motherboard, like big clocks battery, what you do is remove it [carefuly, dont break its socket] and disconnect youre computer from any external power source [AC cable that connects into your PSU>>Disconnect it]

This will ALSO wipe clean you're bios/cmos BUT IS LESS RECOMMENDED! [Not that its so bad, but its like restarting your computer from the Reset button, doesn't harm all that much but is not recommended to do]

Please report to me of how well did this work for you,

Good luck,

-Jo.

THANK YOU so much YOAD!!!!! I cleared the cmos and i'm into windows now! the computer seems a bit sluggish though, but that's prolly from all the crap I have on it. Thanks a lot though, i was worried for a while.

You're more than welcomed,

Always a pleasure to help.

Although the femiliar opinion that lyes around, Overclocking, unless you were playing with the voltages, can not harm you're hardware, not so easly at least, It is usualy just a simple configuration error that causes problems.

I suggest you to run Prime for 2-3 hours [or as long as you can generaly, no need for longer than 10 hours though] to see if its really stable, but thats not a must :) just a way to make 100% sure heh.

-Jo

OH yeah! Another question for you, did you install the Windows XP SP2 patch for AMD dual core CPUs? And did you install the LATEST AMD x2 series drivers for Windows XP SP2? That could actualy make your pc a lot faster sometimes [especially in boot up or multitasking]

If you haven't, go there: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429

Just an advice..

Regards,

-Jo

I have sp2 but i'm not sure about the latest AMD patch. I ran into a problem again though.... I cleared the cmos and everything worked fine, until I restarted my computer. I edited some BIOS settings like the Date, SmartFan, etc, but No OC settings, and when i went to log on, my computer rebooted again.

Perhaps this is a drivers / program error?

Try re installing any external cards driver you have on youre computer [I suggest using the program Driver Cleaner Pro to erase all of the drivers left overs completley] drivers like sound card, video card, ethernet card etc.

Though if you ask me, i'd just do a fresh install of windows, that would also help you fix the computer slow downs because its overloaded ;) .

-Jo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom