Please help First Time Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sneblot

Baseband Member
I am thinking of building my first pc I have a few questions to ask. Some of them are quite stupid like:-
1. I go to buy my components will I also have to pay for cables?

2. Whats the difference between OEM and Retail?

3. Also for the set up im getting will I need extra cooling?

Heres a run down on the components:-
BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB PCI Express Graphics Card

Asus P5KC, iP35, S 775, PCI-E x16, DDR2/DDR3 1066/1333/667/800, SATA II, ATX 1

Geil Black Dragon PC2-6400 800Mhz 4GB Kit (2x2GB) x2

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB SATA II 7200rpm 16Mb Cache 11ms 300Mb/s

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA II 7200rpm 16Mb Cache 11ms 300Mb/s

Pioneer DVR-115 20x IDE DVD+/-RW/RAM Black OEM 1

Hiper 880W HPU-4M880-PE 85% Efficiency, w/8P PCI-E, UK + EU 1

Intel Quad Core Q6600 95Watt G0 Stepping 2.40Ghz 8Mb Cache 1066 FSB

Aerocool ExtremEngine 3T Black Case with 25cm Side Fan.

Xerox 22in Glassfront wide screen TFT Monitor 22" XM7

Logitech 1500 Cordless Rechargable Desktop USB/PS2 Black.

----------

4. What good PC building tutorials are there?

5. And last but not least anyone know of any good free anti virus anti spyware software?

1. Most of the cables should be included with the motherboard.

2. OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. This means you get just the product itself. For instance, the hard drives are usually OEMs. You only get the hard drive itself. No box, cables, or instruction manuals. Retail is just opposite.

3. You would need extra cooling if you're going to overclock, or if for whatever reason, the temperatures are a little too high.

4. Google, or you can ask the many willing and helpful members, around here.

5. AVG is a pretty popular anti-virus, that is free. I use it myself, and it works well.

By the way, that power supply is overkill.

All retail units should have the proper cables,
OEM is just the device itsself, with nothing else, no cables or cds or anything.

I reccomend eVGA over BFG

Get samsung 226bw monitor instead.

If you plan to oc, then yes, you will need more cooling, if not, and its not oem, your fine.

That 880w is overkill

Are you going to be gaming?

PC Power & Cooling 610 is better. Also, get two samsung spinpoint f1 750gb if you plan to raid. The MSI neo-2 FR is a good board. Ballistix is better RAM that what you chose.

AVG free and zome alarm is my antivirus/firewall combo of choice.

The reason I am asking is bcause I went in to a computer store today for a system quote and he quoted me near to a grand for just the tower (no monitor) and was told I would need a power supply of that size to run the system. My website of choice is novatech. Cheers will look into all the advice thanks

ok how about this graphics card?

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT KO 512MB PCI Express Graphics Card - Retail (675MHz Core Clock) (1950MHz Memory Clock) (1500MHz Shader Clock)

The 8800GT is a great choice. But get the non-overclocked version, and overclock to the speeds of that KO yourself, without spending the extra money.

Right I see. So whats the difference between the BFG and the EVGA 8800GT's? Also is the BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT OC2 512MB just the overclocked version of the BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom