please have a look at my (modest) gaming rig!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Static is not as big of deal as people say...i have never had a problem. Just touch the case, or psu, preferably a part that is not painted ever few mins, or before you touch a new part. I would avoid wearing wool sweaters and working on a rug as well.

Agreed. Static discharge for all intents and purposes is more of a myth than fact. I have never had trouble, and I have built pcs on shag carpet before. Not that I recommend that. Just touch the an exposed part of the case every now and then and you should be good.

Built and installed new components on this pc 5 times on woolen carpet, never even tried to get rid of my static - went right ahead, touching PC parts all over the place - your supposed to hold them at the edges, but this just isnt practical sometimes. And ive not had the slightest problem.

But i wouldn't advise it, it never does any harm to take anti-static precautions.

^yeah, it never hurt be on a side of caution. There really isn't a need for an anti-static wrist band by any means, but you don't have to go reckless trying to do it...rubbing your feet on carpet, throwing balloons around, rubbing your hair, touching your crt tv screen and then working with computer components lol.

This was a problem back int he 80's and before. Components were very fragile in respect to electrical discharge and you could very easily fry everything. Nowadays most IC's are rated to take 100,000 volts of static charge at once so it is of very little concern.

One tip I recommend for building is to put the CPU and Fan on the MB before you put it in the case, This way you can hold the board when snapping the fan in without flexing it, Not really a hard thing to do but Hate when I have to snap them on in the case and watch the board flex.

Dauntae

Wooo ! I got me Q9550 today, the intel heatsink was EASY to put on. So easy it worried me !

Take it out, don't twist the plastic things ! put them in the four slots, then push one in with relatively low pressure, then the one diagonal to that, and then the other 2. Took me all of 30 seconds with maybe only 1 or 2lbs of force needed to be applied, before i had to push with my entire upper torso weight on my E6850 :p

wow Oreo, my Q9550 came in today too, and I'm upgrading from a E6850 interesting timing I would say. Gotta wait to get out of work before I can play, working nights stinks.

Dauntae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom