please give me some advice/opinions on this i7 920 build I want to get - Page 9 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #81 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: please give me some advice/opinions on this i7 920 build I want to get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santuzzo
Would those LG's be a good alternative to the Samsungs? Or which would be better?
You can't go wrong with either brand. They're both top notch brands.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #82 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: please give me some advice/opinions on this i7 920 build I want to get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandubomb View Post
You can't go wrong with either brand. They're both top notch brands.
Thanks, but I meant the DVD burners.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #83 (permalink)
True Techie

Same thing with DVD burners. And a DVD burner is a DVD burner. Any brand will do actually.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #84 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandubomb View Post
Same thing with DVD burners. And a DVD burner is a DVD burner. Any brand will do actually.
Thanks !

I will change my order to the LG's instead. Not because I think they are better per se, but the store I'm ordering from has them in stock, so I will get my parts sooner!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #85 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

I prefer samsung over LG when it comes to DVD RW but probably not enough to delay an order. You really really could have stuck with the 750W. PSUs degrading over time is not an issue since the fan in the PSU will fail ages before the PSU electronics themselves and the fan will far outlast your requirment of the PC.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 02-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #86 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmote View Post
I prefer samsung over LG when it comes to DVD RW but probably not enough to delay an order. You really really could have stuck with the 750W. PSUs degrading over time is not an issue since the fan in the PSU will fail ages before the PSU electronics themselves and the fan will far outlast your requirment of the PC.
Thanks!

I changed the order to the LGs just to get my parts still next week, because next week I have a week off, so I wanted to use the time to build the PC

Man, I know the 750W would have been plenty, but the 850W was only about 15 euro more, so I thought, more can't hurt. I know it's overkill, actually all the PC power I will be getting is overkill, but I still want it.

Today I got the PSU, the GPU and the floppy

I have another question to you guys:

I saw that the PSU comes with all the connectiong cables to the parts that need to be connected to the PSU. But Don't I need to get cables to connect the parts (floppy, DVD drives, HDD's) to the motherboard?
What kind of cabels do I need for that?
I totally forgot to think about that and include those in my order.:freak:
Old 02-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #87 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

You motherboard will come with SATA cables to connect that stuff. Is the floppy drive IDE or SATA? Either way your board will probably come with an IDE cable too. You can always buy some more cables.

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 02-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #88 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt7sanremo View Post
You motherboard will come with SATA cables to connect that stuff. Is the floppy drive IDE or SATA? Either way your board will probably come with an IDE cable too. You can always buy some more cables.
Opps, I didn't even check on that
All it says on the site is : 34-PIN IDC ?!?!?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #89 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

34 pin is the mini IDE that floppy always uses so it's standard at least. Your mobo will most likely come with one.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #90 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmote View Post
34 pin is the mini IDE that floppy always uses so it's standard at least. Your mobo will most likely come with one.
Thanks !

Right now I'm very disappointed that I have to wait evne longer for my parts. I payed some x-tra money just to get the case and the GPU on time, but now it seems that was in vain because the stotre I ordered the other parts at is too lame to deliver and they are closed on monday and tuesday ......

Closed Thread