please give me some advice/opinions on this i7 920 build I want to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I have been thinking of what parts to get for a new PC build.
Got some great advice on this site as well as on some music forums. I will use my PC primarily as a DAW for music recording and producing, but I also want to play some good games on it occasionally (games like COD, Far Cry 2, Star Wars Force Unleashed).

I myself know close to nothing about PCs, but with your help and some other people helping I made a choice of parts I want to get for my build.

I would like to ask you what you think of this list, if there is anything I should change or improve:

CPU: i7 920
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe
PSU: Corsair ATX TX750W
graphics card : Sapphire HD 4870, 1024MB (?)
RAM: 3x or Corsair 2 GB XMS3 DHX TWIN3X2048-1600C7DHX
HDD: 2x WD 1TB, Caviar (or Samsung 1TB drives, they are slightly cheaper)
DVD/CD Re-Writer: 2x LG DVR 22X DL,LS,SATA
Case: Cooler Master HAF932

I'm not sure yet about the graphics card, I saw some different 4870's on the site where I want to buy, but I don't know if brand matters much here?

What's better, the Sapphire I listed above or any of these:
ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP/HTDI/512MD5, 512 MB
ASUS EAH4870/HTDI/512M, 512 MB
ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5, 1024 MB ??
and what's the difference?
On that site I saw several different 4870's by Asus and also by Sapphire. This is very confusing for me, and I don't know which of these 4870's to get.
Any help here would be appreciated.

Also any comments/advice/suggestions on my list above would be highly appreciated, since I'm a noob on the PC stuff, but I'm willing to learn :)

Another question I have: does the brand of the RAM matter a lot? or could I just get any brand with the same specs?
How about brand of hard drives or DVD writers?

I was thinking of either trying to build it myself or having it built by the store. I came to the conclusion that in my case the latter is a better idea, because if something is going wrong within the warranty period, I can just bring them (the store) the whole PC and they find the problem and fix it, whereas if I had to find the problem myself, and figure out what part is causing the problem, I don't think I could do it.
Does that make sense?
Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Lars

ASUS is just a different brand. It is the same card. The 512 ones aren't as good though. Stick with a 1 gig version.

For ram, some brands are more reliable than others. Corsair makes good psu's, so I would assume they have quality ram, but I've never had any corsair ram, so I couldn't tell you.

Uh, WD is a pretty good HDD brand. For dvd burners, just get something that is SATA, not IDE. Lite-On seems to be a pretty big brand. I hope it is a good one, as I just ordered one.

Just build it yourself. You get better warranties on most parts, and I can't see it being extremely difficult to troubleshoot and figure out the problem.

Yeah I don't even know what those ASUS things are, so I'm gonna say stick with the 4870. They are probably for video editing or something like that.

For ram, some brands are more reliable than others. Corsair makes good psu's, so I would assume they have quality ram, but I've never had any corsair ram, so I couldn't tell you.

Uh, WD is a pretty good HDD brand. For dvd burners, just get something that is SATA, not IDE. Lite-On seems to be a pretty big brand. I hope it is a good one, as I just ordered one.

Just build it yourself. You get better warranties on most parts, and I can't see it being extremely difficult to trouble shoot and figure out the problem.

Thanks !

Which of those 4870's should I get? Would the Sapphire be good?

With trouble shooting I mean if something does not work, I would not even know what part of thr PC is not working, keep in mind i'm a total noob in this. How would I figure out what is causing the problem? I would not know where to look? Would the mobo be the cause or the CPU?
But if I have the store building it for me, they have to find the problem and fix it for me, no?

Ah dude, you caught me before I was able to edit my post. :p I just looked at the ASUS stuff and somehow missed the 4870 in it lol

Yeah, I would go to the manufacturers website for both of the brands and check the warranty unless someone else here can tell you off hand. If they are similar, I would say go with the cheaper 1 gig version.

Yeah, they would have to find out the problem for you, but it would cost you money to have them build it, and you would miss out on a learning experience (as nerdy as that sounds). If anything did go wrong, you could post up your problem here and have people help you troubleshoot. Not only will you find the problem, but you will gain more knowledge through the process. I've used these forums to trouble-shoot in the past, and I've had much success.

OK, thanks a lot!:)

Another question:

I checked on the site where I'm going to buy again and I saw there is 2 different 750W Corsair PSU : the ATX TX750W and the ATX PSU, CMPSU-750TX (this one costs just a little bit more).
Would the 2nd one be any better than my initial choice?

Or should I evne go for the 1000W model: Corsair 1000W ATX PSU, CMPSU-1000HX ?

What site are you getting this stuff from? Why aren't you buying from the egg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom