Please critique my future AMD setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritzblitz

Baseband Member
Hi everyone.

I would really really appreciate it if you guys could critique my AMD setup that I plan to build in the near future.

This will be my first build but I have an ok amount of knowledge on what is involved in building and such.

I would really like someone to point me towards a good power supply(aka PSU?) that will work well with the mobo im planning on buying.

I would also like some advice on a windowed case because the one that I have is a little too expensive.

Here are the parts listed in no particular order:

-AMD Athlon 64 FX60 Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

-NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner

-Thermaltake Kandalf Black Aluminum/Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case (What does ATX mean??)

-Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive (replacements welcome, dont need too much space)

-DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

-LINKSYS EG1064 10/100/1000Mbps PCI Instant Gigabit Network Adapter

-eVGA 256-P2-N525-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card (possibly go with a GT??)

-FSP Group (Fortron Source) FX600-GLN ATX12V/ EPS12V 600Watts Power Supply (Really need help on this one)

-Thermaltake CL-P0114 120mm Cooling Fan/Heatsink

-Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

-G.SKILL Extreme Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Samsung TCCD System Memory (OK choice???)

-Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition Sound Card

Is there anything else that I will need to assemble this thing??

I need some advice on cooling systems and such. What will I need in terms of fans and other things like that???

Are all these parts compatible with eachother??

I will probably come up with some different questions later because I am pressed for time right now and I know I forgot something.

Thanks a ton in advance!!!

-Alex

yea definately get 2*1GB sticks and also i dont know much about the power supply your getting but i recommend an Antec brand PSU.

that is the top CPU at the moment but the speeds of that cpu are easy to mimic via overclocking but thats your choice whether you overclock or not, im not really the person to ask. If you are spending that much money on other things go the full nine yards & get 2GB of ram. That G.Skill stuff is awesome. Nice mobo & everything else, im not good at PSUs so Im sorry abiut that

ritzblitz said:
Hi everyone.

I would really really appreciate it if you guys could critique my AMD setup that I plan to build in the near future.

This will be my first build but I have an ok amount of knowledge on what is involved in building and such.

I would really like someone to point me towards a good power supply(aka PSU?) that will work well with the mobo im planning on buying.

I would also like some advice on a windowed case because the one that I have is a little too expensive.

Here are the parts listed in no particular order:

-AMD Athlon 64 FX60 Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

-NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner

-Thermaltake Kandalf Black Aluminum/Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case (What does ATX mean??)

-Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive (replacements welcome, dont need too much space)

-DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

-LINKSYS EG1064 10/100/1000Mbps PCI Instant Gigabit Network Adapter

-eVGA 256-P2-N525-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card (possibly go with a GT??)

-FSP Group (Fortron Source) FX600-GLN ATX12V/ EPS12V 600Watts Power Supply (Really need help on this one)

-Thermaltake CL-P0114 120mm Cooling Fan/Heatsink

-Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

-G.SKILL Extreme Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Samsung TCCD System Memory (OK choice???)

-Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition Sound Card

Is there anything else that I will need to assemble this thing??

I need some advice on cooling systems and such. What will I need in terms of fans and other things like that???

Are all these parts compatible with eachother??

I will probably come up with some different questions later because I am pressed for time right now and I know I forgot something.

Thanks a ton in advance!!!

-Alex

nice case and mobo (motherboard) by the way. ThermalTake is a very nice brand and DFI is a gr8 OC'ing mobo....ATX is a type of mobo...there are others like mini-mobo and such but it is bets to stick to a full tower case if you plan to expand w/ the change in technology....but overall good set-up!

oh yea and dont go w/ a GT...unless you plan on springin for a cooling system. GTX is gr8 and i plan to switch

sw_freak64 said:
oh yea and dont go w/ a GT...unless you plan on springin for a cooling system. GTX is gr8 and i plan to switch

GTXs is a waste of money. it cost around 50% - 70% ($150 - $200+) more expensive then the GT for about a 12%-18% percent performance increase in IDEAL circumstances. if you really want a good setup get a 4400+ or 4800+ Athlon 64 dual core and get 2 GTs in SLI, or you could wait and get one of those new ATI cards that are coming out. Remember the graphics card is more importaint then a fast CPU when it comes to gaming.

Well if he has an unlimited budget and doesnt want to overclock he should get the FX60. If he does want to overclock he should get the opteron 170.

Your hard drive you selected is IDE. You should go with a SATA hard drive as it has a faster data transfer rate and smaller cables. I'd recommend the WD Raptor 74Gb or 150Gb hard drive, there the fastest SATA drive on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom