Please 'build' me a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

highstrung

Beta member
Hello all,

I am currently looking to buy a new computer. I'm pretty new to computer hardware and such, so I honestly don't trust myself to come up with all the right parts. :laughing: I've been browsing this forum for a few days now, so I'm starting to get a better idea, but I'm still in no position to figure it all out myself. Ironically, I do plan to actually put the computer together myself, as I've come across a few beginner-friendly guides. I could pay a company like Dell to make one for me, but I think it'll be a good learning experience to do it myself. Not to forget the sense of accomplishment at the end.

I've never been a big gamer, but it's something that I'd now like to get into, so the computer would need to be able to play top-notch games. But on top of that, I'll be using the computer to do the basic stuff like surfing the Internet, browsing photos, and editing home videos.

So to reiterate, I need your guys' help to pick out all of the parts I need. I need the whole package including monitor, operating system, speakers, keyboard, and mouse. Oh, and when picking out a case, I would prefer something more business-looking like the HP Blackbird. As for my budget, I don't really have one so I wouldn't worry about it unless it's like a $200K super computer. :happy: The important thing here is quality, so don't shy out on picking out the best parts possible.

Thanks guys.

well i'll help guide your way with some nice parts... i personally don't like to go off the no budget deal.. so i would build you one in the 1k-2k range

mobo: Gigabyte EX58
memory: 3x1GB g.skill ddr1333 (u don't plan to oc.. so you don't need no 1600 mhz ram)
video card: either a gtx260 core 216 or 4870 1gb (depends if you wanna go ati crossfire or nvidia sli later on)... of course if you want big time gaming on high res... go with a 4870x2
cpu: intel core i7 920
power supply: corsair 750tx (Great for dual card solution and oc'ing)
hard drive: your preference really... but look out for 7200.11 32mb cache hard drives.. great value, and fast speeds
case: also preference... look at the cooler master HAF though

Meh, 24" is as much as I'd ever want for a monitor... to much to look at otherwise.

OK It's 2:30 and I have class at 9:30 tomorrow, so naturally I need to waste more time on tech forums, so here's my dream setup:

Square/rectangular room. On the backwall, a 52" Plasma mounted on the wall. A nice couch pointing right at it. Pressed up right against the back of the couch, a desk that wraps around in an L shape. get the triple monitors with their backs to the TV on the wall, so you can always look up from the monitors to see the TV, or go sit on the couch if you want to relax and watch a movie. Of course the TV would be hooked up as a monitor as well, and there would be a nice mini fridge under the desk, stocked full with Fresca.

Meh, 24" is as much as I'd ever want for a monitor... to much to look at otherwise.

OK It's 2:30 and I have class at 9:30 tomorrow, so naturally I need to waste more time on tech forums, so here's my dream setup:

Square/rectangular room. On the backwall, a 52" Plasma mounted on the wall. A nice couch pointing right at it. Pressed up right against the back of the couch, a desk that wraps around in an L shape. get the triple monitors with their backs to the TV on the wall, so you can always look up from the monitors to see the TV, or go sit on the couch if you want to relax and watch a movie. Of course the TV would be hooked up as a monitor as well, and there would be a nice mini fridge under the desk, stocked full with Fresca.

I think that's pretty reasonable, you can get one of the L shaped desk they have at ikea. It's pretty sturdy and has enough space for a tower or roll away set of desk drawers to fit beneath it. On the couch, how high would it be etc.

I have a rectangle desk and a CRT television, but my room is strange so I can hardly set up the CRT as a second monitor. Good idea though.

well i'll help guide your way with some nice parts... i personally don't like to go off the no budget deal.. so i would build you one in the 1k-2k range

mobo: Gigabyte EX58
memory: 3x1GB g.skill ddr1333 (u don't plan to oc.. so you don't need no 1600 mhz ram)
video card: either a gtx260 core 216 or 4870 1gb (depends if you wanna go ati crossfire or nvidia sli later on)... of course if you want big time gaming on high res... go with a 4870x2
cpu: intel core i7 920
power supply: corsair 750tx (Great for dual card solution and oc'ing)
hard drive: your preference really... but look out for 7200.11 32mb cache hard drives.. great value, and fast speeds
case: also preference... look at the cooler master HAF though

+1 now all you need to do is post some newegg links :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom