Please advise on this build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooch

Solid State Member
Hi all, first I wanted to say thanks for answering my various questions as I get ready to build this systemÂ…it's helped a lot.

So here's what I'm looking at. Before I start ordering anything, feel free to shout out if anything looks like a bad choice:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600 $320.00
CPU Cooler: Tuniq T-120 Tower $54.95

Board: Asus P5B Deluxe $185.00

RAM: Patriot 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 800 $410.00 (after rebates)

Graphics: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB $360.00 after rebate

Case: Thermaltake Armor VA8000 $135.00

PSU: Kingwin Mach 1 Power Supply (600w) $120.00

So I'm looking at a ballpark of $1600.00, and I'd like to not go much above that.

This will be a WinXP 64 bit system dual booting to 32 bit. I do a lot of 3D graphics work, and use a 3 monitor setup, which requires 2 graphics cards. My only real concern at this point is that I've read reviews where the Asus P5B would not boot properly with more than one graphics card, so I have to research that more.

I'll do little in the way of overclockingÂ…stability is more important to me.

I'll be using my existing monitors and DVD drives.

Thanks for any advice!

Get this pasu instead. If gives you alot more power on the 12v plus 2 more +12v rails.

I wouldn't go more then 2gb of ram even with 64bit xp.

If you have ide drives, keep in mind it only has 1 ide port.

Little in overclocking huh....wait till you get a hold of the e6600. I got a full ghz with myn ;).

Can't help you out on the dual gpu's. I only use one. But one of the pcie slots is x4 bandwidth so it won't be as powerful.

darkop16 said:
Get this pasu instead. If gives you alot more power on the 12v plus 2 more +12v rails.

Thanks, that looks like a great power supply. I'll go with that instead.

I wouldn't go more then 2gb of ram even with 64bit xp.

I have to. I frequently get out-of-memory errors on some complex 3D scenes. In fact, that's one of the main reasons I'm going 64 bit, is so my 3D apps have more RAM to work with.

Can't help you out on the dual gpu's. I only use one. But one of the pcie slots is x4 bandwidth so it won't be as powerful.

Actually, it's ok if that other slot isn't as powerful. In fact the third monitor can use a really cheapo card. But not if it won't boot with a second card in place. :angry:

Thanks for the input!

fade2black2004 said:
if your going to go with 4gb of ram get 2x2gb sticks

Yeah, you're right, I should. That way further down the road I could add another 2gb stick for 6 gigs if I needed. It's just that they're more expensive.

I'm seeing the brand "G.Skill" at Newegg...not familiar with that. Is there really a big performance difference between DDR2 667 and DDR2 800?

Thanks...

overcolability...but you can always set a divider. There are some good ddr2-667 ram that can still keep up at higher freq.'s.

check out anandtech's ddr2-667 memory review

of course ddr2-800 would be better at keeping tighter timings since it was meant for a higher bandwidth...unless you get one with stock slow timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom