Playing games at 1280x1024....

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
Hey, I have an LCD with a native resolution of 1280x1024, and I can't play at the resolution I would like to play at which is 1024x768 because the image quality looks so bad at low resolutions.

How long do you think it will be before I am forced to upgrade my video card to keep playing at 1280x1024? I have a 7800GT....and newer games like FEAR and Call of Duty 2 are already putting a load on it at anything above 1024x768.

As demanding as today's games are getting, I am almost tempted to cut my losses and get a CRT just so I can play at lower resolutions and have my graphics card last longer. Or should I just get SLI 7900s when they come out so hopefully I can play all the games in the next year at the higher resolution.

Well, my card is fast enough for it now, barely....but at the rate games are advancing, it will not be in just a few months. By demanding 1280x1024, I'm rendering my graphics card obsolete way sooner than I would be by just playing on the optimized resolution of 1024x768.

I just want to know how long I can expect it to be before a 7800GT can't play 1280x1024 and what my next upgrade should be.

this is one reason I haven't got an LCD. that and they're more expensive.
although once they solve that problem I might consider one

I got a 21" CRT a while back, which I got for pretty cheap (AU$380), but it is a really good monitor.
max resolution: 2048x1536
max refresh rate: 180HZ - I think this is up to about 1024x768, or it might be 800x600

but I haven't got a great video card to take advantage of it though. it's being used on a Pentium 3 system with an Nvidia TNT2 Pro

but anyway, the 7800 GT should be able to run UT2007, I don't know about 1280x1024 though (maybe with AA and AF turned off)

what monitor is it?

Samsung 930B....I don't have any problem with it except for the resolution issue. In fact, for desktop applications and less demanding games, I dread returning to a CRT because the LCD picture is just so much better. CRTs are being phased out too, Newegg doesn't have near the selection they used to.

yeah I know what you mean. I can never go back to dial-up now that I have cable internet.

although there are some pretty good CRT's out there. despite taking up heaps of space, my 21" CRT is great.

dude i think you should be set for a while, i play FEAR on high settings with a 6800gt and a 3500+ and COD2 on max settings and get fine frames

I think you're being too paranoid...games that raise the bar for hardware, like FEAR, don't get developed every year...with a 7800GT you should be good for a while. Plus there's always overclocking, and you can always sell your old and upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom