Planning to upgrade processor on low-budget Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirbyscream

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I'm new here.
I was planning on upgrading from my AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3ghz dual core processor. I have the M2N-E SLI motherboard from ASUS, and, I was just wondering. I want to know if the M2N-E SLI motherboard supports Socket AM2+ processors. Thanks for the help.

Total guess here but I would assume the AM2 socket will fit the AM2+ BUT it wont run at the correct speed. Also your post is confusing me. If you need an AM2+ mobo they are pretty cheap but kinda hard to find (good ones at least). More info from ya would help a ton :)

Compatible Processors AMD Athlon 64, AMD Sempron, AMD Athlon 64 FX, AMD Athlon 64 X2
Your answer is, unfortunately not. You're at the top end of CPUs that your motherboard supports.

If you want to upgrade, you're going to need a new motherboard, and probably DDR3 RAM as well - though there are plenty of AM2+/AM3 boards which support DDR2.

Well, if you need more information

MOBO: ASUS M2N-E SLI Socket AM2
PROCESSOR: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3ghz Dual Core
RAM: 3GB DDR2 RAM (don't know speed)
GPU: nVidia GT 240 1GB DDR3 VRAM
SOUND: Onboard

I found this on an ASUS specs sheet:
"The motherboard supports AMD socket AM2+/AM2 for Phenom FX/Phenom/Athlon 64/ Sempron/Athlon 64 X2/ Athlon 64 FX/ processors with 2MB / 1MB / 512KB L2 cache, which is based on 64-bit architecture.
It features 2000 MT/s HyperTransport1.0 Bus, dual-channel un-buffered DDR2 1066 (AM2+) and DDR2 800 (AM2) memories support and AMD Cool ´n´ Quiet! Technology."

Model
Brand ASUS
Model M2N-E SLI
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type AM2
CPU Type Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64
FSB 1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s)
Chipsets
North Bridge NVIDIA nForce 500 SLI MCP
Memory
Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 800
Maximum Memory Supported 8GB
Channel Supported Dual Channel
Expansion Slots
PCI Express x16 2
PCI Express x1 2
PCI Slots 2
Storage Devices
PATA 2 x ATA100 4 Dev. Max
SATA 3Gb/s 4
SATA RAID 0/1/0+1/5
Onboard Video
Onboard Video Chipset None
Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset C-Media Superior Quality Audio 7.1 channel CODEC (Vista ready)
Audio Channels 8 Channels
Onboard LAN
Max LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps
Rear Panel Ports
PS/2 2
COM 1
LPT 1
USB 1.1/2.0 4 x USB 2.0
IEEE 1394 1 x IEEE 1394a
S/PDIF Out 1 x Coaxial
Audio Ports 6 Ports
Onboard USB
Onboard USB 2 x USB 2.0 connectors support 4 ports
Onboard 1394
Onboard 1394 1 x 1394a connector supports 1 port
Physical Spec
Form Factor ATX
Dimensions 12.0" x 8.6"
Windows Vista Certified for Windows Vista
Power Pin 24 Pin

EDIT:
After doing a bit of research, I've found that the best CPU my mobo can be compatible with is the Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition; it has 2.8GHZ, Socket AM2+, and supports the 2MB x 512Kb L2 Cache. Unfortunately, it's only dual-core, but quad-core based (does that really matter at all?)

EDIT2:
I was just wondering - do my L2 caches on my mobo and my processor have to match for them to work?

Go HERE and click the CPU Support List. That will show you EVERY CPU your board will support. I don't see the 7850 on the list, but someone may have tried it and it worked. Just make sure you are running the latest BIOS for the board to be sure.

Deepnding on your budget you may be able to upgrade both CPU and board. I just got my wife a Biostar board and Athlon x2 250 for $89 on NewEgg. Check the combos for the various processors as you can sometimes find a killer deal. Look for a AM3/AM2+/AM2 board if you want to be able to reuse your current DDR2 RAM.

Well, my main reason for upgrading is to find a quad-core processor so I can run Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and other processor-heavy games at a reasonable framerate. I get about 10fps in BFBC2 now. For me, that is not playable.

Well, my main reason for upgrading is to find a quad-core processor so I can run Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and other processor-heavy games at a reasonable framerate. I get about 10fps in BFBC2 now. For me, that is not playable.

10 FPS is not playable for me either :lol:

Have you thought about just grabbing a newer mobo and a quad core? Athlon II has a quad core thats like 100.00 and you can probably get a mobo that supports your current RAM for like 80.00. Do you have a spending limit your stuck at? The reason I ask is I personally don't think its worth spending 180.00 when a few more saved $$ can net you a DDR3, quad core, and an AM3 board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom