Planning new build please let me know what you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can say from experience that using any cooler besides the stock cooler can void your warranty. With that said, however, AMD only asks you what cooling solution you are using; you can tell them whatever you want. As long as whatever problem you are having is not a thermal one or one caused by excessive overheating you will be good to go.

I can also tell you that my experience with the stock cooler sucked as it was extremely loud. There's no way I could have stood hearing it all the time. That's why I went with a third party cooler. when I doscovered that the memory controller in my CPU was bad I answered AMD's question by telling them what my current cooler happened to be (not stock). Since the problem was the memory controller and not something caused by temps they honored the warranty anyway but I am on my own should anything else happen.

Abstract Hero said:
Thanks for ruining the OP's thought process of building and scarring this forum.

*\/insert long thought out snooty post in response here\/*
Not sure who that is addressed to but judging by the gunzidiot's last comment to me, he is doing just fine. And regardless, I am not going to apologize for ensuring folks know all the facts so they can make an informed, and legal decision. Nor am I going to apologize for pointing out a crime is a crime. People need to know the truth and that's part of my job as an advisor on these sites. Once fully informed, the user then can make the decision that suits his needs. If he wants to use a 3rd party cooler, fine. If he wants to overclock, fine. But it is not fine to then lie to AMD or Intel for the purpose of getting a free replacement if heat takes out the CPU. That's criminal deception - fraud. And it is certainly not fine for advisors to tell those seeking advice it is okay to lie. I personally think that's a scar on the forum more than presenting the truth.

Trotter said:
I can also tell you that my experience with the stock cooler sucked as it was extremely loud.
There's no doubt the AMD OEM coolers when running at full RPM are louder than many 3rd party coolers - especially those with large fans designed to be quiet. But a quality case can make a world of difference too. I have built several systems using, for example, Antec Sonata cases and from experience I can tell you that when used inside a solid, quality case that provides good front to back air flow and cooling, under normal use the CPU fan speed regularly toggles down and the system becomes nearly silent. Even under full speed, a quality case greatly suppresses the CPU fan noise often to a point it is the tiny GPU fan and/or PSU fan noise that becomes most prevalent. If the purpose of a cooler is to cool, and it provides adequate cooling then IMO, it doesn't suck. And AMD OEM coolers do an excellent job of keeping the CPU cool. So if your top priority is silent running (such as with a HTPC), then yeah, OEM fans are often too loud. But if CPU cooling is your top priority, then they don't. Sure, some 3rd party coolers may provide a few extra degrees of cooling, but that's not the point.

Now if you overclock, all bets are off and you are on your own anyway because neither warranty covers damage due to overclocking.

Is it okay to use a Zalman or some other alternative cooler? Sure! As long as you know and understand the consequences for, as the Intel CPU Warranty puts it, CPU "usage not in accordance with product instructions" - and instructions in both cases say to use the supplied cooling. Certainly, there are many enthusiasts (and people with deeper pockets than me) who don't care about warranties. And that's fine. People take brand new cars, chop them up and run them on race tracks too. But they are not going back to Ford or Chevy and say, "My engine blew for no apparent reason, RMA me a new one."

Also, the point is moot if you buy an OEM CPU as they don't normally come with supplied HSF assemblies. But then they are warrantied for only 1 year instead of 3, and their warranties still stipulate usage with specified (not overclocked) voltages.

I doscovered that the memory controller in my CPU was bad I answered AMD's question by telling them what my current cooler happened to be (not stock). Since the problem was the memory controller and not something caused by temps they honored the warranty anyway but I am on my own should anything else happen.
Sure. According to the warranty, they did not have to honor your claim, but that surely would not have been good business sense. You told the truth. They could see that. And you left feeling good about AMD, the company. And it is likely you bought from them again and probably told your friends and colleagues how fairly you were treated too.

Hello Digerati. Your name looks familiar, I think I know you from HardwareHell?

While Intel and AMD could say that you've voided your warranty by using an aftermarket heatsink, they won't. I've never heard of them actually voiding anyones warranty for using a different cooler. In fact I have seen them replace a cpu that was tortured with a phase-change, and I told them I was using it. Of course what I'm allowed to get away with is often more than the average user is allowed.

So long as you don't physically alter the cpu by removing or lapping the IHS neither company will void your warranty as it's just bad for business.

Hello Digerati. Your name looks familiar, I think I know you from HardwareHell?
I visit a lot of sites - not sure about that one. It seems it's forums are down.

I would not go so far as to make the blanket statement, "they won't" void your warranty. That would be like saying it is okay to go 2 miles over the limit because a cop won't give you a ticket for going 2 miles over the limit. They probably won't, but they can, and some have. And not hearing of something does not make it so. I suspect AMD and Intel will let you get away with it - once - if you are truthful and not demanding. But if your name keeps coming up in their data base for frying CPUs, you may not.

Nevertheless, ignorance is no excuse. Not knowing the speed limit is not likely to get you out of a speeding ticket - unless maybe your name is Buffy and you slay vampires for fun.

The new case that i decided to get has amazing air flow there for i decided that although the zelmen would be better, i would rather not risk the warranty of the processor and the motherboard and just buy some extra case fans. also on a different note please could you suggest a better card with a HDMI port and VGA for about £80 or could you be more clear as to the re-design that your thinking of (must be same processor and case.) i have also received a 25m patch LAN cable (from my uncle who works at IBM !) so i will probably not need the wireless card any more there for please ignore it from list above.
further more i have no intent or need to overclock just so people know.

thanks for the input
gunzidiot

@Abstract Hero (or any one ales) as long as you use ebuyer, the same processor and case included in my budget of £650 please can you suggest to me a better build?

I don't know anything about Innovision but the GTS450 is a good graphics engine.

Going back to that cable - 25 meters? That's pretty long. Though technically, it is not too long, but that is plenty long to provide several opportunities for getting tripped over or slammed in doors. There are many USB adapters that are less expensive than the card. I sure would not get the cheapest but you don't have to get the most expensive either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom