Planning new build please let me know what you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of things. Do you have to have wireless? That motherboard has 1Gbit LAN support which offers better performance than wireless N (with a 1Gbit router) and does not introduce security issues associated with all wireless networks.

Also, understand that you have chosen the boxed retail version of an AMD CPU. Like Intel, to avoid warranty issues, you must use the supplied cooler. See the AMD CPU Warranty Information and note where it says,
"This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith."

unfortunately i do need the wireless as the computer will be kept in my bedroom and the router is to far away for a cable. thanks for the advice on the warranty, however i am preprepared to take the risk and to be honest there not going to know which cooler has been used! also the cooler that i will be using is better than the one provided.

thanks for your input!
gunzidiot

(also just a quick note i will also be buying a molex splitter-http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Splitter-Cable-Molex-Lead/dp/B000ITL4KI/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_img_b)

and to be honest there not going to know which cooler has been used!
Well, "to be honest" is an ironic choice of words, no? If that 3rd party cooler dies and something happens to the CPU, "to be honest" will also require you to tell AMD exactly which cooler was used, in which case, they don't have to honor the warranty. Please understand that neither AMD nor Intel want to be replacing CPUs because the supplied fan failed during the CPU's 3-year warranty period. For this reason, the supplied stock fans are excellent coolers and do an excellent job of removing heat from the CPU, where it is then the case's job to extract that heat from the case. Note the Zalman is only warrantied for 12 months.

Oh, and also note that the warranties for both AMD and Intel require these CPUs be used with specified voltages. That means damage from overclocking is not covered either. And of course, no motherboard maker will cover damage from overclocking, even though they may provide (and highly market) overclocking utilities with the board. 3rd party cooler makers won't cover damage to the CPU or the motherboard from excessive heat either. Not sure if overclocking is something you are planning, but I think it is important to understand the monetary risks.

Also note that fancy lights (like that on the Zalman and your selected case fans) do nothing for performance, consume some power, generate some heat, and do nothing for performance (worth repeating). That case does not have side windows so it seems to me where there is a budget involved, the money would be better spent elsewhere. IMO, a case should sit discreetly and quietly off to the side and not draw attention to itself - after all, it is what's happening on the monitor(s) that's important. That said, I think you are wise to include a second fan presumably for the front of the case, but understand it is the case's responsibility (with the fans) to create the necessary front-to-back flow through the case. Therefore, when you buy case fans, the important criteria for their selection (besides size) is CFM, then dBa (noise level). Looks are not a performance criteria. Fan noise is the result of fan blade design and the quality of the bearings. Generally precision ball-bearing or fluid-based bearing are the best. Based on the price and lack of important description details of the fans you selected, I would be worried those fans use cheap sleeve bearings, are noisy, and don't move a lot of air, or do so sounding like a jet engine. A good case fan will state the bearing type, CFM and noise levels so you can compare.

If you must go wireless then Wireless-N (802.11n) is the way to go. While 11n is much better than previous protocols at interoperability, I am still seeing where mixing brands between the WAP (wireless access device - often integrated into wireless routers) and the computer's adapter results in connectivity issues, so if possible, I recommend using the same brand as your WAP. If not available. I still prefer adapters with external antennas. That adapter you have selected resides entirely inside your case, which is basically a metal box. So the antenna is set in a fixed orientation inside a metal box too. As an air traffic control radio technician for 20+ years, putting an antenna inside a metal box (typically down close to the floor) just does not make sense to me if you are looking for range and quality (thus fastest) performance.

I might suggest a different card. Note this Cisco has two external antennas that you can change orientation for best performance. There are other adapters that have removable antennas that allow you to position them higher up, and away from nearby electronics and rat's nests of wires.

Finally, if you need to buy power splitters from day 1, it seems to me you need to select a different PSU. I like Antecs but if that one does not meet your needs, get one that does. I also like Corsairs and have recently used several Mushkin supplies which are so quiet, if not for the little power light, I would not know they are running.

@Digerati Thanks for your amazing input and help ! i have there for edited my plans based on your advice and input. as you will now see i have decided to use the stock fan provided from AMD and there for removed the other one from the list!, i have also decided to use better case fans which are allot better (see list). i have also taken your advice and as you can see i have decided to use the wifi card suggested by you (see list).

thanks again
gunzidiot

just found this amazing case and decided its worth paying the extra £12 Coolermaster Elite 430 All Black Interior Mid Tower Case with Side Window

Sounds like a plan! Good luck. Note you can go out to ASRock and ASUS and download the manuals for your mother and graphics boards now and get familiar with them before they arrive. You will see which sockets to insert your RAM so you can take advantage of Dual Channel, for example. Do take note of any ESD warnings and precautions. And when assembling your system, make sure you only insert a standoff in the case where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole. It is typical for the motherboard labeling of the front panel I/O header to be slightly different than the case's front panel wires. For example, the case may say PwrLED but the motherboard might say PLED. So figuring it out before hand will save frustration woes later when you are in a hurry to get it running. Cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards and the ATX standards only says where mounting holes can go, not where they will go. A common mistake (for newbies and experts not paying attention) is to put an extra standoff in the case which then shorts out the motherboard first time firing up.

That does seem like a nicer case. I prefer case cases with removable and washable air filters so I don't have to lug my system outside to blast out the dust and dog hair near as often, but that's me. I used to think side windows were just a fad along with flashy lights, but a side panel windows makes periodic inspections for dust build up and to ensure fans are still spinning much easier.

@Digerati thanks for the input it is appreciated! as for the ASRock and ASUS manuals i will read them up closer to building ( i first need to save up the money lol) and ill be suer to keep the manuals at hand when building.

many thanks again!
gunzidiot

Ah, well if are not buying today, wait until you are before downloading the manuals. New motherboards and graphics are being released every day so something different may come out that attracts your money.

Digerati isn't giving you great advice with regards to the cooler. You can get a MUCH better build with that budget, The 5670 isn't great if you like to game alot you can get a more powerful video card If you change a few things. I'm sure trotter will help you on Cheap Laptops, Computers and Cheap LCD TVs | Ebuyer.com He's good with AMD builds and I frankly don't have the time. The stock coolers are rubbish if you plan to Overclock. AMD/Intel have NO way of proving you used a different Fan, you just say you've used THEIR fan. This happened with Trotter before also.

Digerati isn't giving you great advice with regards to the cooler.
Oh? I am telling him the truth. You, on the other hand, are advising him to commit a fraud and lie to AMD! :omg: Deception with the intent to fraudulently obtain a product is a crime!!! Who's not giving good advice?

And note I did not say anything about the Zalman cooler not being good, or even better than the AMD supplied. Again, I pointed out the truth that (1) using a 3rd party cooler voids the AMD warranty and damages to the CPU due to 3rd party fan failure are not covered by AMD, Zalman, or the motherboard maker, and (2) the AMD fan is warrantied for 3 years vs 1 for the Zalman. And finally (3) it is the cases' responsibility to remove the heat from the case. The best CPU cooler in the world does little good if all it has is hot air to blow on the heatsink.

I also said the warranties require these CPUs be used with specified voltages - that is, not overclocked and that too is the truth. So forgive me, iPROCTechman but please get your facts right before you say that someone else is wrong or giving bad advice.

And BTW, advising someone to break the law, is against the Tech Forum Rules too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom