Plannin' some sweet stuff. -questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
Alright, I'm planning some upgrades around Christmas time.
So, first I need a better video card. I know this has probably been discussed many a time, but: 7800GT or X1800XT?
Also, I'm gonna upgrade to 2 gigs of RAM. Question: Should I get DDR2 533 or stick with DDR400? My mobo supports both. Also, next year I'm planning on getting an AMD X2 of some sort, I've heard AMD computers generally run DDR. Will I be able to run DDR2 RAM with the new AMD CPU, is it compatible?

thanks for any help!

Wait until Christmas time to see how much the price drops on both those video cards, however the 7800GT beats the X1800XL and the X1800XT barely beats the 7800GTX.

As for DDR2, the X2 won't be able to utilize it, so don't go with DDR2, stick with DDR 400.

Ah, that sucks. So AMDs are just completely incompatable with DDR2? Alright, I'll stick with the DDR.

The reason I'm kinda drawn toward the X1800 is the video in feature. Seems kinda neat.

Yea, the X1800s have more features than the GeForce 7s, but right now the X1800 prices are WAY over the 7800s. Because ATi was late to the market, their prices are no match for the 7800's, but hopefully they go down by Christmas. However, as the X1800s prices go down, so do the 7800s, so thats the consequence of being late.

As for memory, right now no AMD cpu can utilize DDR2, however with the Socket M2 processors of 2006 the new CPUs will be able to use DDR2, and maybe DDR3. But the X2 for Socket 939 obviouly won't be compatible with Socket M2 so either go DDR1 or wait until Socket M2 and go DDR2/DDR3.

You might want to wait for the G71/R580 refreshes comming (i believe it will be around then, maybe towards late winter or early spring). You will get a much, much more powerful card because these refreshes are supposed to have far more pipelines than the current 7800GTX/X1800XT does.

That card was overclocked using dry ice, not even .1% of home users would do that. Also, the GTXs weren't overclocked.

Unless you're a bottleneck junkie, that stuff doesn't matter. The ONLY thing that should matter to gamers is the real-world performance. And as far as real world performance goes, the 7800GT beats the X1800XL in half the games tested, and the X1800XT BARELY beats the 7800GTX in the games they were tested in. Both cards were tested on some of the newest games and with a system better than mine.

At this point, both the R520 cards are WAY more expensive then the G70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom