Plan to Buy 42" LCD TV (HD) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2006, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Kdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 894
Default Plan to Buy 42" LCD TV (HD)

I have now 37" TV.. and plan to return to store and buy 42" TV.
Any way.. The 5 month 37" cost me like 1500$.. and now I can get some thing for same price but 42".


So any way.
I looking for some good 42" LCD TV.

Here some I had my eye on...

VIZIO GV42L HDTV - 42" HD LCD TV
http://www.vinc.com/site/products/product_gv42l.html
Contrast: 1600:1

Then this

VIZIO L42 HDTV - 42" HD LCD TV
http://www.vinc.com/site/products/product_l42.html
A bit cheaper.. but Contrast: 800:1

SCEPTRE X42GV-Naga Black 42" 16:9 8ms LCD TV
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824112180
Its got Resolution 1920x1080 (while other two 1366 x 768)
Contrast Ratio 1000:1 (In a middle)
At my store the sell this one for like 1600$
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...v=&browse=&s=1


What you think?
Maybe you can recomend some thing else?
__________________

Kdar is offline  
Old 08-14-2006, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!
 
bmxfreakrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood
Posts: 2,068
Default

go with the sceptre, its got a good contrast ratio, and gotta love that resolution. before you make your final choice, wat u gonna be usin it for? movies, games, internet, or... it makes a diff, cause if ur gonna get one just for surfin, u can go cheaper and get one with a lower response time, but gaming, the higher, the better
__________________

__________________
Listen to my music! and random/funny videos XD
Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
bmxfreakrider is offline  
Old 08-14-2006, 02:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 309
Default

Make sure you read and verify the Feedback Post regarding the Sceptre....states that you "absolutely" require a "Media Box" that is not sold with the TV.

Wow! Those are nice, whatever you get, it's like.... Wow!
__________________
[SIZE=\"1\"]E6400 @ 3.4 , Noctua 120
7900GT @ 670/1680 , VF900
P5B-D 0711
2 x 1GB Patriot 6400 @ 425
WD SATA 250GB
VX2025WM
Neo HE 550
P180 / G15 / MX1000[/SIZE]
Syrillian is offline  
Old 08-14-2006, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 87
Default

Take a look at the Westinghouse 42w2. It is outstanding for the price with 1080p resolution and 3 or 5 1080p-capable inputs. When compared to the other LCDs there, you won't believe they are able to keep this priced so low. They sell it at BestBuy if you want to take a look at it first hand. Usually sells there for $1999.

Check out www.avsforum.com if you REALLY want some help in this department.

Keep in mind, the bigger you get, the farther back you need to be able to sit in order to avoid the "screen-door" effect.
Midnight is offline  
Old 08-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
UA_Iron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 857
Default

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...341&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=&mc=79

that scepter is cheaper at costco online

you can get the 37" scepter for 999.99 too.


and plus if you dont like it you can return it to any costco warehouse - no questions asked. Best return policy in the industry.
UA_Iron is offline  
Old 08-14-2006, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Kdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by UA_Iron
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...341&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=&mc=79

that scepter is cheaper at costco online

you can get the 37" scepter for 999.99 too.


and plus if you dont like it you can return it to any costco warehouse - no questions asked. Best return policy in the industry.
That what I was using for few years now ..


And I thinking Costco sell this TV with Media Box.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...341&Ns=P_Price

I will use TV mostly for Movies.
Kdar is offline  
Old 08-14-2006, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,191
Default

Hey cool, I didn't know they had those Sceptre's at Costco. Might just go have a look.

I wouldn't get an HDTV that didn't have a resolution of 1920x1080, because whats the point? An HDTV that's expensive, and doesn't even support the best quality HDTV signals? Thats BS if you ask me.
The General is offline  
Old 08-14-2006, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
UA_Iron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 857
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by The General
Hey cool, I didn't know they had those Sceptre's at Costco. Might just go have a look.

I wouldn't get an HDTV that didn't have a resolution of 1920x1080, because whats the point? An HDTV that's expensive, and doesn't even support the best quality HDTV signals? Thats BS if you as me.
each warehouse has different stock of TV's

scepters may not be there, just a warning.
UA_Iron is offline  
Old 08-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,191
Default

I go there all the time anyway.

We'll see.
The General is offline  
Old 08-14-2006, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by bmxfreakrider
go with the sceptre, its got a good contrast ratio, and gotta love that resolution. before you make your final choice, wat u gonna be usin it for? movies, games, internet, or... it makes a diff, cause if ur gonna get one just for surfin, u can go cheaper and get one with a lower response time, but gaming, the higher, the better
I agree. I have a friend who bought one of these. And it is pretty nice. The pictures are so sharp.
__________________

ablaye is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.