Plan on building a gaming PC eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, don't get that ram. If you only want 4GB then you should get the ram Muffin linked to. If you just want a good deal then get this memory, the latencies are slightly slower than Muffin's but a 4GB (2x2GB) kit is only $88.99 after the rebate. And they're faster than the memory you picked all the way around.
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G16004GK

You can always buy another identical set later for 8GB. It's not the optimum choice but it will work and it's cheaper.
I'm REALLY having trouble finding a motherboard that can use DDR3 1600. All of the ones that I find that have enough PCIe slots and enough SATA drive bays, they can't use AMD Phenom II x6 processors without flashing the BIOS, and I don't know how to do that. Do any of you know how?

Okay, I looked up how to flash the BIOS, and I don't think it's very safe. How long do you think it will be before there will be more motherboards that can use the Phenom II x6's without flashing the BIOS?

For sure I need at the very least two PCIe slot, two SATA drives(if a hard drive is 3Gb/s, can it use a 6Gb/s drive bay?), two RAM slots, and the thing necessary for it to work both with my processor, and at all.

Sorry for necro posting this thread, but I have another problem. According to Best Buy, it says in the System Requirements "Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ processor; Windows XP, Vista or 7; 2GB RAM; 200MB hard disk space; DVD-ROM drive; PCI Express or PCI-Express 2.0-compliant motherboard with 1 dual-width x16 graphics slot; 600W power supply". Wouldn't that mean that the AMD Phenom II x6 processor wouldn't work with it?

those are either minimum or recommended system requirements. nothing bad is going to happen if you have parts that are better than what is required.

So, will my PSU be powerful enough if the power usage of the graphics card alone is 600W?

For the anti-static wrist strap, should I use a Rosewill or Belkin strap?

Also, how would I plug in the fans built into the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom