Plan on building a gaming PC eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yerfdog

In Runtime
Once I get enough money, I plan on buying parts for a PC and building a gaming PC. So far I have a list of the parts, software, and other things I think I'll need.
List:
Intel® - Core™ i7-930 2.8GHz Processor
Windows 7 Home Premium
PNY – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card
(2)Kingston Technology - HyperX 2-Pack 4GB PC3-14400 DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory
Dell - 22" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD Monitor
Western Digital – Caviar GP 1TB Internal Hard Drive
Creative – Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card
LG – 10x Internal Blu-Ray Disc Double-Layer DVD+RW/CD-RW Drive
Dynex - Multimedia Keyboard
Dynex - Optical Mouse
Logitech - X-540 Multimedia Surround Sound Speaker System (6-Piece)
Antec - Nine Hundred II Computer Case
Asus – ATX Motherboard 2000/1600/1333/1066MHz (Socket LGA 1366) P6X58D Premium
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010
Corsair - 750W ATX CPU Power Supply

I think the total for this is about $2,784.32 after I add up all the prices from the website I looked these up on. So, are all these parts compatible? Any suggestions for me that you have? Anything that would be a better value with similar or better performance? Btw, I'd like it to keep it under $3000 if it is possible.

Is this a good surge protector?
Is DDR3 RAM Tri-Channel or how do you tell if it is tri-channel? Also, how do you get triple channel RAM?

How long are you planning on it taking for you to get the money? If we are talking two weeks or so, it's good you started planning, if we are talking two months from now, who knows what could happen, and it may be best to wait until you are almost there as far as your finances go. Things change very quickly.

Also, is this the motherboard to which you were referring?
Motherboard - P6X58D

For the below I am going to assume you were referring to the RF-PCS12ES surge protector by Rocketfish.

I would look into a Belkin surge protector over a rocketfish (I have not used rocketfish, so this is based on what I am reading), simply because after reading both the warrenty information, belkin (IMO) has a better coverage policy (belkin will cover $100,000 and rocketfish will cover $500,000, but from reading the warranty information belkins warranty has less strings attached) Belkin is much more lenient (from what I am reading anyway) on what they will cover, Also, I would be worried about the part in the rocketfish warranty that says the warranty is void for reasons such as "Damages due to acts of God, such as lighting strikes." Also, I happen to know from experience the belken folks will honor their warranty (POS system got hit and they paid to replace the broken component (PSU caught the surge) with absolutely no trouble, they even replaced the surge protector :D). While I doubt rocketfish would screw you, that outlet is always open for them to do so.

Quick Note: Since I learned to everything I say here with some kind of proof, the above information was gathered from the below sources and are linked directly to the products being referenced above.

Warranty information for both products can be found below, both got from the link to the 12 outlet surge protectors on the respected sites.
Rocketfish - http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/skins/skin_1/Topics/Documents/RF-PCS12ES Warranty.pdf
Belkin - http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/CEW_7-01.pdf

Re: Plan on building a gaming PC eventually

How long are you planning on it taking for you to get the money? If we are talking two weeks or so, it's good you started planning, if we are talking two months from now, who knows what could happen, and it may be best to wait until you are almost there as far as your finances go. Things change very quickly.

Also, is this the motherboard to which you were referring?
Motherboard - P6X58D

For the below I am going to assume you were referring to the RF-PCS12ES surge protector by Rocketfish.

I would look into a Belkin surge protector over a rocketfish (I have not used rocketfish, so this is based on what I am reading), simply because after reading both the warrenty information, belkin (IMO) has a better coverage policy (belkin will cover $100,000 and rocketfish will cover $500,000, but from reading the warranty information belkins warranty has less strings attached) Belkin is much more lenient (from what I am reading anyway) on what they will cover, Also, I would be worried about the part in the rocketfish warranty that says the warranty is void for reasons such as "Damages due to acts of God, such as lighting strikes." Also, I happen to know from experience the belken folks will honor their warranty (POS system got hit and they paid to replace the broken component (PSU caught the surge) with absolutely no trouble, they even replaced the surge protector :D). While I doubt rocketfish would screw you, that outlet is always open for them to do so.

Quick Note: Since I learned to everything I say here with some kind of proof, the above information was gathered from the below sources and are linked directly to the products being referenced above.

Warranty information for both products can be found below, both got from the link to the 12 outlet surge protectors on the respected sites.
Rocketfish - http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/skins/skin_1/Topics/Documents/RF-PCS12ES Warranty.pdf
Belkin - http://www.belkin.com/support/download/files/CEW_7-01.pdf

Yes, I am speaking of that motherboard, basically, just, the Premium one. :p

As above really, there's not much point planning far in advance because things change so quickly.

You should get triple channel RAM if you're going to go with a CPU like that though and that NIC is a waste of money.

Okay, then I'll get rid of the Network Interface Card.
I'm not quite sure what triple channel RAM is, can you explain please?

Re: Plan on building a gaming PC eventually

In the way of triple channel RAM kits(?), I was able to find this.

Is that a good triple channel RAM stick set?

The Corsair is good memory but way overpriced. The Mushkin is really slower than what you'll want.

This memory runs at the same speed as the Corsair but it has faster latencies and is cheaper.
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK

This memory runs at the same speed and latencies as the Corsair but is even cheaper.
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK

If you can afford it I would go with the OCZ Platinums :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice. I have a new list:

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Windows 7 Home Premium
PNY – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK
SAMSUNG B2330H Glossy Black 23" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 70000:1(1000:1)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Creative – Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card
LG UH10LS20 Blu-ray Disc Combo Internal SATA 10x SuperMulti Blue LightScribe
Link Depot 6 ft. HDMI TO HDMI A/V Cable Model HDMI-HDMI-2 - OEM
Dynex - Multimedia Keyboard
Dynex - Optical Mouse
Logitech - X-540 Multimedia Surround Sound Speaker System (6-Piece)
Antec - Nine Hundred II Computer Case
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
BELKIN BE112230-08 8 Feet 12 Outlets 3780 Joules Surge Protector with Telephone and Coaxial Protection
Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student 3-User
Corsair - 750W ATX CPU Power Supply

Okay, now, do you know of any good fans for that? Or any other good cooling systems? Also, are all those compatible?

Again, even for the surround sound, you probably won't need that Sound card, your board comes with 8 audio channels, of which include coax and optical, so you really should be covered unless you are going to be doing something crazy that I am just totally missing here.

If you want your stuff to sound the best, save the money and invest in better speakers, while the X-540 are nice speakers, with the money you could save and re-invest in better ones would benefit you more than if you had a sound card, which, ARGUABLY, does not really do much.

Than again, if I am missing something you are doing with it and I am just being a pain right now, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom