Pimping it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

[FRAGmental]

Beta member
Well, I need to update my computer, becuase I am compulsive and have extra money. My budget is around $550 for a CPU, and around $300 for RAM, give or take a some, but I'd prefer it to be on the cheap side.

My current specs:

Mobo: LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
CPU: AMD 64 Atholon 3200+ (socket 939)
Ram: Mushkin Dual V2 *1 GB* 512 x 2 DDR 400
Videocard: Radeon Visiontek X850 XT 256 MB (PCI-E)

I want to update just my CPU and RAM for around the listed price. I'm not sure what I should get, anyone have any link? (newegg.com) I want another AMD 64 though. And I want 2 Gigs of ram. Oh, and if you couldn't allready tell... its for gaming.

I've allready found a couple CPU's that are around my price limit:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

RAM:

Corsair XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB)

I'm really looking for some great ram, great for gaming that is. If you know of any, please help me out.

Thanks again guys.

-Happy Holidays

(P.S. Try to make sure it will work with my Mobo)

i hear that ocz and g.skill make really good ram but I have XMS ram and i love it. i have the cl2 version. anyways i think that i would go with the 4400 because of the l2 chache is 2x1gb instead of the 4200's 2x512mb cache

edit: plus it is faster

Ho hum. Seriously, you don't need to upgrade those. Maybe add another gig of the same ram, but ram is almost exactly the same unless you overclock.
And if you ARE going to overclock, then don't get a new cpu. The 3200 can overclock like crazy.
I'd say keep what you have, and maybe upgrade the video card to a 7800gt/gtx/gtx 512mb or something.

Get the Opteron 175 Denmark and the XMS 3500LL's
That's like 820.00 Buy from ZZF. 2nd day free shipping.

You'll be able to get the Opteron up to at least 2.6Ghz...
You're video card is fine... Wait until the next generation Nvidia's or ATI's come out.

That's just my opinion.

HAVOC2k5 said:
Get the Opteron 175 Denmark and the XMS 3500LL's
That's like 820.00 Buy from ZZF. 2nd day free shipping.

You'll be able to get the Opteron up to at least 2.6Ghz...
You're video card is fine... Wait until the next generation Nvidia's or ATI's come out.

That's just my opinion.

Agreed. Unless your are overclocking, I would go with the OCZ platinums.

The XMS 3500LL's offer some really nice overclocks for a 2x1G kit. And they don't require more then 2.7v. Actually they don't like more then that. This could potentially limit the overclockability for some, but none the less, you can retain tight timings, at lower voltage and remain stable.

lol - i've read a bunch of reviews...

I would say just stick with the ram you have now, and but the X2 4200+, and buy a eVGA 7800GT, you will see a HUGE performance increase over another gig of ram.

Then later get another set of the same ram so you can get to 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom