PhysX Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperXMega

Baseband Member
I was reading up on some of the posts about PhysX and learned quite a bit about it. I have a few questions though, hopefully some of you may know. Would a video card of today work with a future PhysX, or is it only a gfx card with onboard PhysX thats gonna work. I'm wondering about the compatibility becuz i wanna get my new build in soon and dont know how long it will take for PhysX, thats why im hoping it will be compatible with today's cards if you could buy the PhysX solution separately.

I could be wrong, but the way I understand it, is that it doesn't really matter what hardware you have. The only thing that matters, is if the software (games) you're running are programmed to tap into the PhysX card.

Yea the hardware dosent matter. Up comeing games like unreal tournamenty 2007 are going to benefit from haveing it. But my guees is ATI and nvidia are going to end up intergreting it in their new gen vid cards.
It seems like if you buy a new game like UT2007 and have a slower cpu and a good mid range card with a physX card, itll help out by takeing off some strain from the CPU. So it may help balance(lack of a better word) a rig.

i understand that the phisX card will supplement the current GPU so i think it will work with any of todays graphics cards. Also, only PhysX games will see a performance boost.

From what I understand, some of the earlier PhysX are going to me expansion ports hooking to that little slot just under your 16x PCI-E slot.

Over all, there is no sence in purchasing these thing until the games are taking advantage of the technology.

CPU - Think & Orchestrate
GPU - Display & Render
PPU - Motion & Interaction

These are the three components of a next generation gaming systems, that will allow game developers to use better technology in their software. Notice how I said, "Systems". That's because next generation consoles like PS3 & XBOX360 will be using all three of those components.

The theory behind the PPU is that it will allow game developers to increase the physics capabilities with-in a game 1000 times for what they currently are. Games like Unreal 2007 as mentioned above, will be one of the first games that is currently being designed with the "Ageia Physx SDK." The integration between UNREAL ENGINE 3 & Physx SDK will be critical to game developers.
Allowing them to create more realistic "real world" physics within the engine. Then with the PPU, the end user can utilize the full potential of these tools that they have employeed.

Some recent demos show just a small amount of what is to come in the world of in-game physics. Check them out.

1.) http://www.ageia.com/physxInAction/demos.html
2.) http://www.airtightgames.com/currentproject.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom