Physics Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDiceman

Space Ninja Pirate
Is a physics card actually a worth while investment for game performance? There is no way I can afford one for my new build, but it was something I am considering for the future.

a physics card is not really worth it right now it would be better just to get another video card if you have a SLI or crossfire compatible card and you can make one of the video cards contorl physics and the other control everything else.

but until games start really relying on physics and being ultra-realistic you wont need one.

Right now a PhysX card is like SLI. Its not exactly worth it but its cool to have ya know? When ultra high physics games come out you will want a PCI-E 256mb version.

yeah, it should, as it uses a PCI slot, not PCI express.... I would check the requirements for the Physics card though.... EDIT: according to Newegg specs:
A vacant PCI 2.0 or higher slot
Add-in graphics card supporting Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 2.0 or higher

BUT, if you can't afford one, I wouldn't worry about it, as the technology is still in it's infancy... Needs MUCH more time to mature, and make its way into more games. IF You are interested, read this short 8 page article over at Tom's Hardware... http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/19/can_ageia/page8.html

Ethereal_Dragon said:
yeah, it should, as it uses a PCI slot, not PCI express.... I would check the requirements for the Physics card though.... EDIT: according to Newegg specs:

BUT, if you can't afford one, I wouldn't worry about it, as the technology is still in it's infancy... Needs MUCH more time to mature, and make its way into more games. IF You are interested, read this short 8 page article over at Tom's Hardware... http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/19/can_ageia/page8.html

Seriously. It's not something to worry about unless you're building some sort of $5,000 rig. Even then, it's not supported yet. So....you'll have to wait it out before it's even effective.

Oh Ho Ho Ho Noooo.

When the PhysX card becomes properly implemented, all the amazing rumors that were floating around before its release will come true. Huge jump in the Frames Per Second from your videocard, mind-boggling PhysX that make CellFactor look like Pong, all that good stuff. When that time comes, I would put a PhysX card in a $1200 system. It will become an additional variable when buying a videocard.

BUT. But, the problem is that there is no way it's going to be implemented like its supposed to be at the rate it's going. GRAW was a gross disappointment when it's lack of real physics support, and CellFactor, while being much more immersive, is far from being a real game in terms of quality. CellFactor is a game that I agree will only be a hardware presentation/showoff.

Many hardware experts agree that what the PhysX card needs in order to become fully integrated is, as Kyle Bennet of [H]ardOCP put it, a "killer app." Many hope that this "killer app" is going to be Unreal Tournament 2007. The point is that the PhysX card needs something that uses it excellently, yet is also so popular that everyone wants to buy that game. UT2K7 is the perfect candidate. If that fails, then there is little hope for Ageia's PhysX Processor.

Ofcourse it will take more than one game to make it popular, but there is still the need for that one game that makes the PhysX card a must-have.

Dropping the price to around $150 might help too. But don't hold your breath on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom