Physical mounting problems, which part to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowsurfer

El Mágico
Hello all,

I just started mounting an MSI P45 Neo-FR / Q6600 / Scythe Zipang / 2 x 2Gg OCZ Reaper HPC setup, but ran into a physical problem.

You may imagine it, but I can't mount the Zipang HSF due to the height of the OCZ Reaper modules (rather their heatpipes).

The question is easy, which one would you change (barring the proc), and for what? I have to buy locally here in Spain but most decent brands are available.

I've been checking out the Corsair XMS2 2Gb 1066 modules, they are normal height 5-5-5-15 2T, just a bit more expensive than my OCZ. The Dominators with same spec cost the same but I am afraid those will be too high. Maybe just another HSF then? Help! :)

I am planning to overclock to around 4 x 3Ghz, nothing extreme.

Thanks a lot!

can you turn the heatsink 90* and still have it mount correctly? do you have it facing upwards?
or move the reapers to the next slots over away from the HS?
i have a xigmatech s1283 and with the fan facing the rear exhaust there is plenty of room for my reapers. it looks like my slots are about in the same place as yours.

Tried it all, still a no-go. The Zipang has a 139mm horizontal fan....yeah, 139. The HSF combo is basically "square" in overhang proportions (not quite, but almost). I'm afraid there is no way to get around it, except to change one of parts. Any vertical fan HSF or 120mm horizontal should be OK though, so it's down to choosing what to change. Thanks anyway.

grab a core contact freezer of a noctua nh-u12p... they should fit just fine with that RAM in some configuration or another, and will both perform excellently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom