Physical mounting problems, which part to change? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
El Mágico

Default Physical mounting problems, which part to change?

Hello all,

I just started mounting an MSI P45 Neo-FR / Q6600 / Scythe Zipang / 2 x 2Gg OCZ Reaper HPC setup, but ran into a physical problem.

You may imagine it, but I can't mount the Zipang HSF due to the height of the OCZ Reaper modules (rather their heatpipes).

The question is easy, which one would you change (barring the proc), and for what? I have to buy locally here in Spain but most decent brands are available.

I've been checking out the Corsair XMS2 2Gb 1066 modules, they are normal height 5-5-5-15 2T, just a bit more expensive than my OCZ. The Dominators with same spec cost the same but I am afraid those will be too high. Maybe just another HSF then? Help!

I am planning to overclock to around 4 x 3Ghz, nothing extreme.

Thanks a lot!

Old 12-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Default Re: Physical mounting problems, which part to change?

can you turn the heatsink 90* and still have it mount correctly? do you have it facing upwards?
or move the reapers to the next slots over away from the HS?
i have a xigmatech s1283 and with the fan facing the rear exhaust there is plenty of room for my reapers. it looks like my slots are about in the same place as yours.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
El Mágico

Tried it all, still a no-go. The Zipang has a 139mm horizontal fan....yeah, 139. The HSF combo is basically "square" in overhang proportions (not quite, but almost). I'm afraid there is no way to get around it, except to change one of parts. Any vertical fan HSF or 120mm horizontal should be OK though, so it's down to choosing what to change. Thanks anyway.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

well, your ram rocks. so i say go with that. dump the cooler for one that fits.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Electical Engineer

Send a message via AIM to BongWizard Send a message via Yahoo to BongWizard

grab a core contact freezer of a noctua nh-u12p... they should fit just fine with that RAM in some configuration or another, and will both perform excellently

NZXT Lexa BlackLine w/ Red LEDs | Corsair TX-750 | Gigabyte EP45-DS3P | Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.6GHz
2x 2GB Kingston HyperX PC2-6400 @ 960MHz (5-4-4-13) | 3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 761/1129 in CrossFireX w/ Thermaltake DuOrbs | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro

Got a problem?? Click Here before posting!

Closed Thread