A Photographer PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

fais7

Baseband Member
My Current computer has been more than sufficient for my needs till now. But recently my graphic card went bust and the computer has been giving me a few problem.

So now I'm in the market to either get my current computer fixed or get a new one...which ever seems more financially and mentally sound.

Being a photographer I deal with a lot of RAW files and multiple softwares like Photoshop CS3, Digital Photo Professional etc. So that would be my main usage. On the side I do deal with a little bit of Video editing also and plan to acquire a HD Camcorder in the near future...so they'll be a lot of rendering of huge HD quality videos.

The specifications I'm looking for are...

• At least 2GB worth of some very fast memory...
  • 1*500GB or 2*250GB (which ever is a better setup) hard drive space...
  • 256MB Graphics card with HDMI capabilities...
  • I have no preference towards a motherboard or a processor....

The main concern I have is heating. My current computer is situation in my house at a location that lacks circulation which has led it to run at high temperatures especially my graphics card. I also cannot acquire computer cases with better cooling as it's either not available here or is priced too high. So I'm looking for components that might not be the best performers but will work at lower temperatures helping me keeping my system safe from that dreaded blue screen...We do get Gigabyte cases here though that seem to be good....

My budget is at $800....

This should be what you need:

Q6600 (e8000 series isn't enough for what you need)
You can get 1TB Drives' for $140, get one of those since you don't need a really good GPU
8400GS would be fine here.. (you won't be like using 3dsmax or Maya right?)
any P43 Board even P35-ish would be fine..
4gb DDR2 RAM (multi-tasking, plus CS3 is a bit of a RAM hog)
64bit Vista Home Premium

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards - $79 - This is just a good alround board we usually recommend.

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops - $189 - As the knowledgable Vern said, Dual isnt better in this case, most apps you are using support Quad Cores so this is a good choice.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies - $90 (MIR) - A nice powersupply that can handle future upgrades and keep you going long into the future.

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases - $60 - Basic sort of case that we users like to go with from time to time.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory - $66 - 4 gigs of Ram for those intensive raw images and design programs.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100255L Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards - $79 - This video card is better than a 9600GT and since your not gaming will do you most well.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EACS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives - $140 - Loads of space for those really large raw files, i know how big those AVI's get....

Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners - $23 - Basic DVDRW optical drive that should see you through all your burning and reading needs.

$726 without OS
or $826 with Vista Home Premium 64Bit:
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - Operating Systems - 64bit because most design programs work better with it now adays and it goes well with 4gigs of ram.

Glad i could help.

^ what they said, when I built my HTPC for HD video editing the advice I got from the HD community at the local college was quad core CPU and lots of RAM...gpu not so important.

^ what they said, when I built my HTPC for HD video editing the advice I got from the HD community at the local college was quad core CPU and lots of RAM...gpu not so important.

True yeah, but having a decent one is never bad, that's why the 4670 is perfect for him. Just in case he needs to do some light 3dsmax work.

yup, i put the 9800gt on mine so that it would work as a backup gaming machine for my LAN parties...now if just i could find a passive cooler that would work well with it.

yup, i put the 9800gt on mine so that it would work as a backup gaming machine for my LAN parties...now if just i could find a passive cooler that would work well with it.

The HR-03 GT doesn't work on it?

I already own a 500GB WD Home edition so I can afford to not go big on the Hard Disk. Also a good graphics card might be an added bonus just in case my brother wants to play something... :rolleyes:

I don't need the OS btw....

Cooling....what about that....???
Heat sinks, Fans....whatever required to cool the computer....this keeping in mind the lack of any good cases here....

You will be perfectly happy with the stock intel heatsink and youll have all the cooling you need with the Antec 300.

And since you dont need the big harddrive, or OS, ill whip up a new build for you:

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards - $79 - This is just a good alround board we usually recommend.

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops - $324 - You will absolutely abolish everything with this beast. No doubt.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies - $90 (MIR) - A nice powersupply that can handle future upgrades and keep you going long into the future.

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases - $60 - Basic sort of case that we users like to go with from time to time.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory - $66 - 4 gigs of Ram for those intensive raw images and design programs.

Newegg.com - MSI R4850-512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards - $160 - This video card is better than a 9800GTX and will handle any games and applications you can throw at it.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives - $70 - Still loads of space for those really large raw files. I would have recommended the 640GB but its not on sale like it usually is.

Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners - $23 - Basic DVDRW optical drive that should see you through all your burning and reading needs.

$872

It is more expensive but you really cant get a nicer build than that. If you want to make it $800 you could just get rid of the extra hard drive and use the 500GB you have now or just go back to the much less impressive video card i used for the other list.

You WILL have one sweet computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom