Phenom on Newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow whose comparing caches and why...

AMD has always had smaller cache sizes- because they use on chip memory controller- and there FSB has always been faster (or nearly) since now its like what... 3000 ht/ 6000 mhz /sec.... utilizing the RAM to its fullest extent.

As for the q6600 beating it.. uh.. keep in mind the 9700 isn't here yet- and the q6600 is not true native... oh and the OC thing.. well yea.. if you OC something.. it should perform better then something NOT OC.... but then again you can OC AMD's much better... or at least you have been able to in the past.

side note...

whats the details on this Errata problem these chips are having? Anyone have any clues?

oh so the "errata" problem should no longer effect?

Then why are phenom 9600 and 9700 series still postponed til Jan.....

i dont know if a bios fix is going to solve the problem.
i think you will have to wait until the B3 steppings to eliminate the possibility of the TLB problem. but, it doesn't mean that ALL the current chips suffer from the bug. and certainly not everyone maxes out all four cores of their chip. overclocking the cpu past 2.4ghz may increase the chance of the bug presenting itself, but it doesnt guarantee it.
quoted from the inquirer:
"The Translation Lookaside Buffer (TLB) errata is an L3 protocol issue causing a system hang when running certain client workload applications independent of platform. AMD is immediately introducing an updated BIOS which will correct the TLB errata".

This problem was found during speed-binning the B2 revision processors, and this was the cause for the Phenom FX 3.0 GHz delay. It turns out that some CPUs running at 2.4 GHz or above in some benchmarking combinations, while all four cores are running at 100% load, can cause a system freeze.

oh........the 9600 was delayed too? WTF??

great.....now i have no choice but to get the 9500 for Christmas.

so r all the Phenoms infected, including the 9500s? I now am having a tough time deciding on what Phenom to get because i want my computer up n running again by Christmas n idk if i can handle waiting until January to upgrade.

this is exactly what has been holding the Phenoms' full potentail back, more so of the 9700.

It turns out that some CPUs running at 2.4 GHz or above in some benchmarking combinations, while all four cores are running at 100% load, can cause a system freeze

so yes, the 9500's can be considered part of the "some cpu's" because they are talking about all the Agenas.
what they mean is that you might have this problem if you have a Phenom running @ or above 2.4ghz, and that includes overclocking them past 2.4ghz.
the possibility is there, and it is obviously likely enough that it gives give AMD pause about releasing the 9700, which runs at 2.4ghz.
i'd think about it. B3 not too far away. at least let some more in depth overclocking reviews come out.
there are several that have overclocked them fine past that speed.

As for the q6600 beating it.. uh.. keep in mind the 9700 isn't here yet- and the q6600 is not true native... oh and the OC thing.. well yea.. if you OC something.. it should perform better then something NOT OC.... but then again you can OC AMD's much better... or at least you have been able to in the past.

Lmao, what a terrible post. What's the point of mentioning that it's a native quad core? Seriously, where's the performance boost we're seeing...oh wait...we aren't... Btw, today's intels OC way more than AMDs, by a substantial amount. The phenom wasn't supposed to compete with the non-native quad cores, it was supposed to demolish it.

Lmao, what a terrible post. What's the point of mentioning that it's a native quad core? Seriously, where's the performance boost we're seeing...oh wait...we aren't... Btw, today's intels OC way more than AMDs, by a substantial amount. The phenom wasn't supposed to compete with the non-native quad cores, it was supposed to demolish it.

Amen. Straight up facts people:

Higher performance per clock? .....NOPE
(A Phenom will have to be clocked higher than a C2D to match it, but the Phenoms are almost a full 1GHz behind.)

Lower cost per clock? ................NOPE
(If AMD tries to make a Phenom that will match a C2D's performance, it will always be more expensive.)

Lower cost overall? ....................NOPE
(Not even the choice for low end builders. You can buy a Q6600 for less money, and it performs better.)

Higher performance overall? .........NOPE
(Not a crown chip. Not even close. It would need to be a 4GHz at this clock efficiency to sit cozy with the crown above the C2Ds, and it would cost around $1000+.)

Phenom is/will be just a less efficient, lower clocked, lower performing, yet always more expensive chip compared to the C2D.

Why would you EVER choose it for a new build?

i wouldnt put it in a new build.
nossirebob.
i'll put it in my existing one, or at least i likely will.
anyone putting it outright into a new rig is crazy.
it was different with the dual cores and the huge price difference between c2d and amd's lower chips. the phenom basically is just not priced competitively for its performance level. simple as that. i think though, bennyV that after the new year prices will settle down and at least the 9500 will become VERY competitive for its price. depends on how much intel drops the q6600, i suppose.
in any event, i think the point is well understood that the phenom is somewhat of a let down. it is also well understood that the q6600 is its true competitor, not the new generation.
i think perhaps it would be nice to have a thread with AMD and intel in it that doesnt turn into a ticking off of this versus that. most of us here understand everything thats going on...it just gets tiresome seeing the same...old...thing...in every post about these chips.
its still an interesting and possibly important advancement in technology, which no one but myself and apokalipse seem to realize. which is part of the reason we (or at least i) will be gettin one. that, and i already have an AM2 mobo lol. its also part of the reason i/we/whoever starts these threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom