Phenom Info/discussion... etc... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Phenom Info/discussion... etc...

OK first off Hey Iam back!

now.. to the gritty. I've opted to/been forced/etc/ to NOT buy any upgrades... but I figured I should get re-informed with phenoms release and all that googlygunk.

Read somethings on AM2+ motherboards not being truely Phenom ready... would like to know input on that.. I plan to wait til the higher phenoms come out anyway, but kinda wanted to plan price ranges....

Read some AM2+ boards don't support x16 x16 video... would like to know if any DO...had my eyes on one from newegg.... *finds link* but some info is lacking: Newegg.com - ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

I plan to only dual video- although start with 1 good card, and see if i need another later.
I tried to find some of this info.. but it seems buried in the site.. and I've been gone for at least 2 months...so Iam rather out of date.

Saw Intel had its quad dropped in price, only about 1,300 now, anyone know if intel is supporting a "true" quad core or just 2 dual dies slapped into 1?

I knew this would happen, I wait long enough and I lean back toward AMD... and kinda glad I saved my money and didn't buy the E6600.

FYI- it'll be for a gaming rig- not just building- but creating/testing a game (so lots of power and Stability is required.)

My old rig here is still holding out- but it blew a RAM- and it was replaced with a 512 Ram.. so now I am up to 1GB finally lol... however HDD stability has fallen so drastically that I piggy back on 2 other drives to stay logged in/functional.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Inquiry - The Dark Cheese

Default Re: Phenom Info/discussion... etc...

AMD is going to release their higher clocked, more faster b3 stepping of their phenom CPU's soon. As you know the Q6600 is basically 2 conroes slapped on together into a quad-core. Even their 45nm quad core will be still 2 45nm dual cores bolted together. But is the quad core performance really that terrible? Right now most games don't take advantage of the extra 2 cores, not even crysis (yet) but most people say its good to futureproof your purchases so they go quad. Another thing is that AMD has a so called "true quad-core" meaning for cores on one die instead of slapping 2 cores together. But even so, their quad core is %13 slower than intel's "fake quad-core" clock to clock. But the b3 stepping should fix that. I have a big hunch though that when games are dual-core optimized, the phenom's true quad-core will shine. But that will take a year we'll see what it gets too soon enough :/

Old 12-28-2007, 04:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Camera junky

the current phenoms dotn oc very well either, and even when they go b3 i think they will have problems ocing, anyway i got my q6600 instead of a phenom 9600 and im very happy with my purchase, oced to 3.5ghz with the press of a button really.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/poizen22/
intel Core I7 8700k@ 5.0ghz-Nvidia GTX1080 ti ftw3-Aorus 5 z370 mobo-16gb ddr4 G-Skill trident Z rgb 3000mhz - 1tb samsung 960 pro, 2tb wd blue- thermaltake rgb 750w gold-Phanteks pro M TG- Samsung CHG70 1440p 144hz 32 inch QLED.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

i dont think the B3 steppings will have really any problems oc'ing. really the B2 dont either, i think the mobos are a main hiccup in that. a phenom 9900 will be super fast, no doubt. plus, there will be black edition B3 and woo wee that makes getting a high clock with little or no voltage increase EASY.
maybe by the time B3 comes otu there will be a few more motherboard choices, and maybe even some that have the issues ironed out.
as far as the am2+ being phenom capable, make sure you get one with the 790x, 790fx chipset (or 770)...the older ones sold/advertised do not support HT 3.0
i think as of now, MSI, gigabyte and asus have the only real am2+ boards. ECS has a cheap-o 770 which probably isnt worth the 70 bucks that it costs.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasama View Post
i dont think the B3 steppings will have really any problems oc'ing. really the B2 dont either, i think the mobos are a main hiccup in that. a phenom 9900 will be super fast, no doubt. plus, there will be black edition B3 and woo wee that makes getting a high clock with little or no voltage increase EASY.
maybe by the time B3 comes otu there will be a few more motherboard choices, and maybe even some that have the issues ironed out.
as far as the am2+ being phenom capable, make sure you get one with the 790x, 790fx chipset (or 770)...the older ones sold/advertised do not support HT 3.0
i think as of now, MSI, gigabyte and asus have the only real am2+ boards. ECS has a cheap-o 770 which probably isnt worth the 70 bucks that it costs.
i hope your right, but I think some1 should lock it b4 Intel Fanboys/vultures start attacking here...
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 12-28-2007, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Camera junky

the current phenomc have been oced to 2.7 2.9 from 2.2 and 2.3, from many reviews i was looking up, i knew i was going to be ocing quite a bit, and it didnt looksatisfactory, im bumed out about the fact that current phenoms sucked, as i love amd, but intel is very very good aswell, if you wait to get a phenom b3 you cant really go wrong, i would have gotten a b2 if there was no erata, but if youg want a quad now there is nothing wrogn with a q6600 either. just do not go b2.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/poizen22/
intel Core I7 8700k@ 5.0ghz-Nvidia GTX1080 ti ftw3-Aorus 5 z370 mobo-16gb ddr4 G-Skill trident Z rgb 3000mhz - 1tb samsung 960 pro, 2tb wd blue- thermaltake rgb 750w gold-Phanteks pro M TG- Samsung CHG70 1440p 144hz 32 inch QLED.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

no input/data/ comments on the Motherboard I linked though? Kinda tryin to plan and get what I want on paper.. before I lose all computer use out of what I have.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

the asus you linked runs 2 x 16 if you have 2 cards. triple will run 16/8/8. quad is 4 x 8.
the MSI k9a2 platinum runs 2 x 16, or 4 x 8. unsure if it runs triple, but probably does.
i think the 790FX boards all run at least 2 x 16.
the 790x boards go to 2 x 16, at least the MSI does. i am not sure if the others are the same, but i would think it a likely assumption.
i, myself, would go with the MSI over the ASUS. personal preferrence.
also, bear in mind that nvidia is going to introduce the 7** chipsets for am2+ in the (hopefully) very near future. they will be SLI mobos, so if you have nvidia gfx and dont want to switch (or will NEVER use more than 1 card), i'd wait for them. although, the 790FX is a pretty sick chipset, it seems.