Phenom II X4 925 for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iBaker

Baseband Member
Hi guys, I'm currently piecing together parts for my new gaming build and was originally looking at picking up either an i5 750 or Phenom II X4 955 or 965 but THIS deal just popped up and I'm wondering how the 925 compares to the 955 on a gaming level. Is it going to be really noticeable? I plan on OC'ing but would still like to know baseline comparison.

Also, what do you think about the mobo in that deal?

The performance difference between them will be a few FPS, same applies with a Core i5/i7. The real advantages and the bigger differences with those CPU's are when you render or do something besides gaming that's CPU intensive.

Ok, so being that this new computer I'm building will be 90% gaming and 10% light video editing, the difference between the 925 and 955 is negligible for my use?

Have any insight on the mobo in that deal? Good for overclocking?

thanks for your help!

I've never seen that board in my life o_O. This is mostly because people who go with AMD usually get the AMD chipset to go with it. I'd say for that price though, it's really good, but remember you have to get DDR3 with that build.

Ok, so being that this new computer I'm building will be 90% gaming and 10% light video editing, the difference between the 925 and 955 is negligible for my use?

Have any insight on the mobo in that deal? Good for overclocking?

thanks for your help!

Same with the Core i5/i7 rig.

Let me google that for you

from the first two reviews, it looks like a good mobo. both mention that it has good OCing potential so you should be able to get a decent 24/7 oc. not sure if youll reach anything record breaking though.

am3, ddr3, 2 pci-e x16's for multi-gpu if you want, looks real good with the price of that deal.

Yeah, I had already read those 2 mobo reviews and one more on newegg, just wondering if anyone had some first hand experience.

It looks like it has everything I want at the moment, OC potential (not looking to break records, just get some more power over stock), enough DIMM's for RAM, multiple GPU support but 1 thing kind of puts a kink in my plans.

I was looking at getting an ATI 4890 but with this mobo I'd have to get nVidia, whole bunch more reading ahead of me now to find the best price/performance ratio.

Is there something wrong with DDR3? Every time some one brings it up it sounds like a downfall...is it simply because of price?

I was looking at getting an ATI 4890 but with this mobo I'd have to get nVidia, whole bunch more reading ahead of me now to find the best price/performance ratio.

Thats only required if you desire to use two graphics cards. A single ATI 4890 will work perfectly fine in the mobo.

Yeah, I had already read those 2 mobo reviews and one more on newegg, just wondering if anyone had some first hand experience.

It looks like it has everything I want at the moment, OC potential (not looking to break records, just get some more power over stock), enough DIMM's for RAM, multiple GPU support but 1 thing kind of puts a kink in my plans.

Is there something wrong with DDR3? Every time some one brings it up it sounds like a downfall...is it simply because of price?

Having to use DDR3 isn't a bad thing, there's no real advantage to it with these chips, but I said it in a manner where, you cannot use DDR2; because I have had a fair share of friends who tried to put DDR2 in DDR3 boards and griped about it not working.

HD 4890 will still work in that nVidia chipset board, but you just cannot put two for CrossfireX, you can put two nVidia cards for SLI, but , it's not worth it. There are AMD cards in almost every price range that beats the nVidia for equal or a lower price, that might change with GTX 300 series, but we don't know for sure as it's not out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom