Phenom II X2 or Athlon II X4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
So I am getting a little bit of money to upgrade my computer. I'm happy with all of it, except the processor. I've decided on either a Phenom II X2 550, or an Athlon II X4 620. I don't have ACC so not unlocking the 2 cores of the 550 or the L3 of the 620. These are my two choices, and possibly a proven processor, the Phenom II X3 720. Which would you choose out of the 2 first ones? Would you get the 620 over the 720?

I'd say get an Athlon II X4 since you don't have the Advanced Clock Calibration, plus you really won't notice the difference between L3 cache or L2 cache in normal usage.

But from what I'm seeing the Asus M3A76-CM has an SB710 Southbridge; are you 100% sure you don't have it?

I'd also consider the PII X3 720 as you said, but $19 more is a bit too much even if its guaranteed to go past 3.4ghz, and you'd still have one less core. Plus there are controversy theories that Athlon II X4's might be more failed Denebs.

I'd say get an Athlon II X4 since you don't have the Advanced Clock Calibration, plus you really won't notice the difference between L3 cache or L2 cache in normal usage.

But from what I'm seeing the Asus M3A76-CM has an SB710 Southbridge; are you 100% sure you don't have it?

I'd also consider the PII X3 720 as you said, but $19 more is a bit too much even if its guaranteed to go past 3.4ghz, and you'd still have one less core. Plus there are controversy theories that Athlon II X4's might be more failed Denebs.

100% positive I don't have ACC. ASUS seems to think that since it's a lower-end model they shouldn't take the time to add a little bit more to their BIOS. Plus, for some reason CPU-Z and every other program I use says I have a SB700. Reads that I have 780G chipset, and a SB700? I'm pretty sure it's just being read wrong.

I'll most likely be going with the 320, unless I can find a great deal on a used chip. Highly doubt it, so 620 is my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom