Phenom 9500 Mobo Recommendations - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Hellfire!
 
Wildside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 3,038
Send a message via MSN to Wildside
Default Re: Phenom 9500 Mobo Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post
Actually, no it isn't much slower. The difference is very small.

As far as boards go, what do you need 3 PCI slots for?

I would recommend the MSI K9A2 Platinum, but it only has two PCI slots
lol im still waiting for that mobo too. Ask soon as i see it next time, im ordering the darn with my own credit card n get myself an early part of my Christmas present.
__________________

__________________
--Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
--AMD Ryzen 1700x @ 3.4GHz w/ MX-4 and Corsair Hydro 100i Liquid Cooler
--Corsair LPX Vengeance Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 DRAM
--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Wildside is offline  
Old 12-07-2007, 12:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
Camera junky
 
Poizen22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: ottawa ontario canada.
Posts: 6,280
Default Re: Phenom 9500 Mobo Recommendations

dont pci cards fit pci-e?
__________________

__________________

https://www.flickr.com/photos/poizen22/
intel Core I7 8700k@ 5.0ghz-Nvidia GTX1080 ti ftw3-Aorus 5 z370 mobo-16gb ddr4 G-Skill trident Z rgb 3000mhz - 1tb samsung 960 pro, 2tb wd blue- thermaltake rgb 750w gold-Phanteks pro M TG- Samsung CHG70 1440p 144hz 32 inch QLED.
Poizen22 is offline  
Old 12-07-2007, 12:28 AM   #23 (permalink)
Hellfire!
 
Wildside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 3,038
Send a message via MSN to Wildside
Default Re: Phenom 9500 Mobo Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd gt player View Post
dont pci cards fit pci-e?
no, nor vice versa. Would be cool though.
__________________
--Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
--AMD Ryzen 1700x @ 3.4GHz w/ MX-4 and Corsair Hydro 100i Liquid Cooler
--Corsair LPX Vengeance Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 DRAM
--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Wildside is offline  
Old 12-07-2007, 02:34 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,479
Default Re: Phenom 9500 Mobo Recommendations

Many people recommend AMD even when the author of the thread don't ask about AMD

So, what is the problem if I recommend for him an Intel ? I'm not forcing him to buy Intel, he can choose not to buy intel, right ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post
Actually, no it isn't much slower. The difference is very small.
I'm comparing Q6600 to Phenom 9500, not to Phenom 9700

No, the difference is not too small



http://images.tomshardware.com/2007/...elle_q6600.gif

Don't forget that the workaround will make AMD phenom perform even slower


Quote:
As far as boards go, what do you need 3 PCI slots for?

I would recommend the MSI K9A2 Platinum, but it only has two PCI slots
He didn't ask for a motherboard that have 2 PCI slots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildside View Post
he didnt ask for Intel.
But he didn't say that he don't want an Intel processor

He wants mobo that have 3 pci slots

He wants to run studio recording

Many cheap Intel motherboards have 3 pci slots

Q6600 cost slightly more, but it performs better in studio recording

And when I told him to get the intel mobo and Q6600, this was his reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoDirenzo View Post
Wow. You saved me some time and money! Totally cool!
maroon1 is offline  
Old 12-07-2007, 06:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default Re: Phenom 9500 Mobo Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon1 View Post
Many people recommend AMD even when the author of the thread don't ask about AMD
That's nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon1 View Post
So, what is the problem if I recommend for him an Intel ?
I didn't say you couldn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon1 View Post
I'm not forcing him to buy Intel, he can choose not to buy intel, right ?
And people like me can also give advice.
and my advice is that the Phenom's are not far behind.
Quote:
I'm comparing Q6600 to Phenom 9500, not to Phenom 9700
which was not meant to compete with Q6600. At least compare the 9600.
Quote:
No, the difference is not too small
That's subjective.
500 internal server error.
Quote:
Don't forget that the workaround will make AMD phenom perform even slower
if you decide to use it.
And that's because it disables part of the TLB functions that might cause the error.
But, the chances of the error actually occuring, are quite slim. Which is why it was missed by AMD.
Quote:
He didn't ask for a motherboard that have 2 PCI slots
Which is why I said this:
Quote:
I would recommend the MSI K9A2 Platinum, but it only has two PCI slots
Quote:
But he didn't say that he don't want an Intel processor
He also didn't say he didn't want a red and blue striped golfing umbrella.
Quote:
He wants mobo that have 3 pci slots
And I asked him why he needs 3 PCI slots.
Quote:
He wants to run studio recording
okay?
Quote:
Many cheap Intel motherboards have 3 pci slots
that's nice.
Quote:
Q6600 cost slightly more, but it performs better in studio recording
Not by a big margin.
Quote:
And when I told him to get the intel mobo and Q6600, this was his reply
that's nice.

Am I able to recommend him anything?

*edit*
@RicoDirenzo:
If you can move one of your PCI cards to USB, or PCI-E, you can get the MSI K9A2 CF, which is quite cheap, and supports the Phenom's.
*edit*
in the long run, it might actually be better to move a couple of things to PCI-E. PCI slots are starting to diappear from motherboards.
__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Old 12-07-2007, 09:59 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,479
Default Re: Phenom 9500 Mobo Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post
which was not meant to compete with Q6600. At least compare the 9600.
At which planet do you live ?

Read the first post in this thread and you will know why I'm comparing it to Phenom 9500

The author of thread was thinking about getting Phenom 9500, and not 9600. No one here was talking about Phenom 9600


Quote:
500 internal server error.
Try this link
Phenom 9700, AMD's 1st Quad-Core CPU | Tom's Hardware

Edit: I uploaded it to imageshack



Quote:
Not by a big margin.
I think 18% is a big margin

At least it not very small as you claim


Quote:
Am I able to recommend him anything?
Quote:
okay?
Quote:
that's nice.
I was saying that to Wildside, not you

Don't reply on behalf of him

Quote:
That's subjective.
You said that "The difference is very small" in one of your previous posts

Thats subjective as well

I don't think 18% is very small, anyway

And it outperformed Phenom 9500 by 19.1% in 3d-studio recording

Maybe in your eyes it is not big margin, thats because your are AMD biased.

Quote:
I didn't say you couldn't.

And who told you that I was asking this question to you ?

Did I quote you when I said "So, what is the problem if I recommend for him an Intel ?"

The answer is no, please check my previous post

Quote:
He also didn't say he didn't want a red and blue striped golfing umbrella.
Again, in many other threads many people recommend AMD even when the author of the thread don't ask about AMD. But you never said to them the same thing.

umbrella is not even a computer processor and it is not a computer part. So, your comparison between Q6600 and this golfing umbrella is invalid

EDIT: I was saying that to Wildside anyway (see my previous post). I hope that you stop replying on behalf of others

I don't like to talk with you. I'm trying my best to avoid you, but it seems that you are doing the opposite. You come here and reply to every comment that I make even when I don't quote you

Quote:
Am I able to recommend him anything?
Did I prevent you from doing that ?

Quote:
And that's because it disables part of the TLB functions that might cause the error.
I think getting a processor that have no bugs like Q6600 is better idea than getting a processor that might cause an error
maroon1 is offline  
Old 12-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #27 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator
 
Nagasama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: probably on the lake
Posts: 6,956
Default Re: Phenom 9500 Mobo Recommendations

okay let me end the argument.
this mobo is AM2+, and has 3 pci slots:
Newegg.com - ECS A770M-A AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
coupled with a phenom 9500, the total price is 310.00
the mobo and cpu that maroon suggested totals 375.00
a difference of about 20% (actually a little less).
the q6600 averages 18% faster overall, based on the benches that maroon posted.
therefore, the price difference is proportional to the performance difference.
IF you ARENT going to overclock, price/performance they are almost exactly on par.
its your decision. they are both good chips, and both perform well for how much they cost.
there ya go, problem solved. now, you just need to decide which brand you like better, and if you are going to overclock your processor. that will make the decision.

p.s. the q6600 has its share of bugs as well, especially the earlier steppings. they just arent as pronounced in lab situations as the TLB bug with the phenom. as a matter of fact, c2d had its own TLB errata, which has apparently been eliminated in later steppings.
__________________
"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Nagasama is offline  
Old 12-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,479
Default Re: Phenom 9500 Mobo Recommendations

Quote:
the mobo and cpu that maroon suggested totals 375.00
But he don't need to get the motherboard that I suggested

There are many cheaper intel motherboard that have 3 pci slots, like this one
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P31-S3G LGA 775 Intel P31 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

It is $22 cheaper than the motherboard that I posted in my other post

This means that he can get Q6600 + A good Intel mobo for a total of $353
maroon1 is offline  
Old 12-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #29 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator
 
Nagasama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: probably on the lake
Posts: 6,956
Default Re: Phenom 9500 Mobo Recommendations

well, even then thats like 12ish% price difference.
in any event...we're splitting hairs here. like i said, if he is going to overclock, the q6600 is the obvious choice.
if not, it really boils down to company preference.
__________________
"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Nagasama is offline  
Old 12-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default Re: Phenom 9500 Mobo Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon1 View Post
At which planet do you live ?
It's called Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon1 View Post
Read the first post in this thread and you will know why I'm comparing it to Phenom 9500
Still doesn't excuse the fact that the 9500 wasn't meant to compete with the Q6600

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon1 View Post
The author of thread was thinking about getting Phenom 9500, and not 9600. No one here was talking about Phenom 9600
Which doesn't somehow mean that it should be compared with the q6600




Quote:
Try this link
Phenom 9700, AMD's 1st Quad-Core CPU | Tom's Hardware

Edit: I uploaded it to imageshack

Try the 13.5% that you conveniently ignore.
That's with a slower clocked, and less expensive 9600.



Quote:
I think 18% is a big margin
First of all, I don't. And second of all, you're still comparing the 9500, which again was not meant to be a direct competitor to the Q6600.

Quote:
At least it not very small as you claim
At least I don't compare products that weren't meant to be direct competitors.

Quote:
I was saying that to Wildside, not you
that's nice.
Tech-forums won't automatically include secondary quotes when you quote somebody else.

Quote:
Don't reply on behalf of him
I wasn't replying on behalf of him. I was replying with my own answer.

Quote:
You said that "The difference is very small" in one of your previous posts
Which it is, if you compare the 9600

Quote:
Thats subjective as well
Yes.

Quote:
I don't think 18% is very small, anyway
1. See above.
2. You're still comparing two products that weren't meant to be direct competitors.
3. That's why the 9500 is cheaper than the Q6600 is.

Quote:
And it outperformed Phenom 9500 by 19.1% in 3d-studio recording
1. Q6600 costs about 25% more
2. you're still comparing products that aren't meant to be direct competitors.

Quote:
Maybe in your eyes it is not big margin, thats because your are AMD biased.
1. Oh, as if you aren't a fanboy, or anything. when you keep insisting on slamming Core 2 at people.
2. No, it's because I'm not comparing the products that aren't meant to be direct competitors. 9500 IS NOT a direct competitor to the q6600. That's why it's cheaper.

Quote:
And who told you that I was asking this question to you ?
who told you that I was asking you what colour stripes you like to have on a golfing umbrella?

Quote:
Did I quote you when I said "So, what is the problem if I recommend for him an Intel ?"
Does tech-forums include secondary quotes when you click the button to quote people's posts?

Quote:
The answer is no, please check my previous post
Gee, you wouldn't want to make a big deal out of it, or anything, would you?

Quote:
Again, in many other threads many people recommend AMD even when the author of the thread don't ask about AMD. But you never said to them the same thing.
"I vaguely remember seeing some other guy do the same thing once, therefore that completely justifies me doing it"

Quote:
umbrella is not even a computer processor and it is not a computer part.
Wow, I did not know that!

Quote:
So, your comparison between Q6600 and this golfing umbrella is invalid
I wasn't comparing processors to umbrellas. I was pointing out an argument from ignorance, using my own argument from ignorance as an example.

Quote:
EDIT: I was saying that to Wildside anyway (see my previous post). I hope that you stop replying on behalf of others
See above.

Quote:
I don't like to talk with you.
Then don't.

Quote:
I'm trying my best to avoid you, but it seems that you are doing the opposite.
This is despite the fact that in just about any other thread that I wanted to talk about the Phenom processors without even mentioning Core 2, you were there to slam Core 2 at me.

Quote:
You come here and reply to every comment that I make even when I don't quote you
The only reason I replied to you in the first place, is because you're slamming Core 2 at people, when they didn't ask for it.

Sure, you can recommend Core 2. but you're always so flamboyant about it.

Quote:
Did I prevent you from doing that ?
You're trying to do it with the very post I'm replying to.

Quote:
I think getting a processor that have no bugs like Q6600 is better idea than getting a processor that might cause an error
Despite the fact that the chances of getting that error, are so small, that I haven't even heard of it actually happening?

The TLB bug has such a minutely small chance of actually occurring, that AMD didn't even know about it during their testing of the processors.
__________________

__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AMD Phenom & Spider vs Intel QX9770 (What a joke AMD is) Osiris Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 88 12-20-2007 10:40 PM
Phenom and Mobo availability, 8800 GTS G92 specs revealed Wildside New Systems | Building and Buying 8 12-05-2007 02:53 PM
Phenom x4 vs Intel Core 2 and Quad gurusan New Systems | Building and Buying 25 11-03-2007 07:01 PM
static and my mobo funkywaggnelz New Systems | Building and Buying 10 06-12-2007 03:03 PM
cannot install vista.. got a dell mobo siddanth3 New Systems | Building and Buying 13 04-30-2007 06:05 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.